Carnival Sunshine Cruise Review by totalee: Sunshine with the crowd

Sunshine with the crowd

Sail Date: May 2014
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

I had taken a great cruise on the Carnival Pride 2 weeks earlier and thought I would follow it up with a relaxing 8 day cruise on the Sunshine.

I will start with the good things. The embarkation was the best I had ever done, went super smooth no waiting at all.

Our Waiter Everton provided great service at every dinner and the food was pretty good. The lunch buffets were also good, guys burger's, the burrito bar and the pasta at del Capitano's were very good and did not seem very crowded so I could always find a table to take my food too.

Now for the rest. The Cruise Jaime D was energetic and always available to talk too, she seemed to spend a lot of time helping people with minor issues. However it seemed that she hosted every event and while I liked her personally she would not be my first choice to host all the events. The rest of her activities staff did not seem very fun or to know what was going on all the time. The Deck parties would only last 15 More minutes and always had a DJ and not a live band. There was one good band on the ship Swamp Thang band, but they always played in hallways on the ship and all the chairs around them tended to be full most of the time.

Which brings me to one of my disappointments, The remodel of the ship seems to have made the hallways narrower and added more cabins and more people, while making the theater and lounges smaller. The Comedy shows were in a very small lounge and people would line up an hour early to maybe get a seat at the shows. I had some PTSD related nightmares while on the ship and did not want to stand in a crowd or fight a crowd to get a seat at a comedy show and the one time I got into a show and saw an empty seat the staff had placed reserved signs on the all the empty seats and I was not a privileged person to get one of those seats so I only got to see one of the comedy shows.

The disembarkation at Aruba was the worst I had ever encountered 30 min after disembark began everyone was jammed in the stairwells then the cruise staff told us we were on the wrong side of the stairs but we were too stuffed in to move. apparently people were getting off the boat then just freezing on the pier blocking anyone else fro exiting the ship.

I took a shore excursion in Aruba to Del Palm Island I had a relaxing time there, however it was not worth the $100 that it cost, had it been $50 I would be raving that it was a great deal.

I have been on 6 previous cruises and have always raved about how good my room steward was, however on this trip I found out what having a bad steward was like. I did not get my Fun times the first night in the room, I never had my ice bucket filled, never received a towel animal. One day they barged into my room at 930 am while I was still sleeping (I am not sure why I didn't have the door deadbolted). Another time I left to get a cup of water in the morning and found them working in my room and my toothbrush was in the sink after I had left it standing in a cup next to the sink. I had to buy a new toothbrush and make sure they were not putting it in other places after that.

The Casino Manger Zee was downright mean to me, not sure why, She did send me some day old stale cookies one afternoon. But I could not talk with her most of the time, I usually receive lots of gifts from the casino, I don't know if it was her not sending them or if the room stewards were just not delivering the stuff

I had some issues that the cruise ship had nothing to do with, however the poor service from the room stewards clouded up my voyage on the Sunshine. I am not sure if I will take advantage of the free cruise they gave me and will probably try a different line if I do cruise again. Less

Read more Carnival Sunshine cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Sunshine Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Sunshine 7264

Room was OK service from Room Stewards was terrible. Plenty of room for one person, Very small desktop area and no paper or pen in room, Ice bucket was never filled.