Norwegian Dawn Cruise Review by cruzin_ga_gal: Suite Life on the Dawn

Suite Life on the Dawn

Sail Date: May 2014
Destination: Bermuda
Embarkation: King's Wharf

As background, I am a veteran D+ of RCL, Carnival and HAL and only sailed with NCL once before. This cruise was booked for the 23rd to 30th of May, sailing out of Boston to Bermuda. The dates worked with my schedule and thought I'd try NCL. Travelled with my son and son's friend.

We flew into Boston from Atlanta the day of sailing and took a taxi to the pier. (Taxi was approx. $35.00) We arrived at the pier around 11am and was quickly checked in and waiting. Since we had a suite, there was a specific area cordoned off for us with drinks and pastries available. We were given a pre-order form for alcohol/pillow choices which we filled out. We did not wait long before our Butler, Madel, came to greet us and escort us on to the ship. Since the rooms weren't ready yet, we were escorted to Cagney's for lunch.

First impressions were awesome, from the way we were treated from arrival, to being escorted on the ship and being seated for lunch the first day made us feel More special. After a nice quiet lunch (usual first days at the buffet are hectic) we went to find our stateroom. We had the owner's suite with 2 balconies.

After dropping our hand carried luggage, we went to explore the ship. It's not the most beautiful ship I've seen, but it was well organized (except for the first time we went to find the Venetian) and in good repair. Yes, there are some rust spots and worn carpet in areas, but overall very well maintained.

My thoughts of the Aqua were mixed. We ate there three times. The first night we were seated with Keith Campbell as our server. Service was quick, efficient and he was able to keep us entertained while covering his whole area. The second time the service was very slow. We went later in the evening and we were told that since it was near closing, the food had to be cooked to order. Unacceptable, as the food once it was brought out was cold. Had it been cooked to order, it would have been hot. The order was also wrong. My son's friend ordered the striploin, and received steak Dianne. The server started to cry, another server kept coming by laughing and pointing at her. We were made to feel uncomfortable for speaking our mind. The maitre'd came to the table and told us that we would get a complimentary bottle of wine for the next night. We only accepted with the offer if we could seat in Keith's area. The third time and last time dining in Aqua, we sat in Keith's section, and had our bottle of wine. The food in the Aqua, except for the problem with the second service, was good. Nothing on the menu was really memorable, except for the service issue, but what we had was good and there were no complaints on the quality of the food.

We only went to the Venetian once for lunch. It was very pretty and we were seated at the back of the ship overlooking the wake. Food there was good.

Canallato - our favorite. My son and his friend ordered the steak twice and I ordered the lasagna one night and the pork medallions the second time. I can't speak for the restaurant on board, since we ordered it in our cabin through Madel, but the food was better than Cagney's. We did try Cagney's one night and all agreed that the steaks were better in the Aqua and through Canallato's. All three of us had chewy, grisly meat. We ate at Cagney's for breakfast and lunch on several days, and it was so much better than their dinner service.

I have to speak of our butler Madel Bunyi. He was absolutely fantastic and made our trip that much more memorable. I know he had other rooms to service, but he was there for us when we wanted him to be and even when we didn't know he was coming. We had a problem with our coffee maker and he took it out for repair. Since I am a big coffee drinker, until it was fixed, he brought coffee every morning, both a regular pot and the French press pot from Cagney's (he heard us say we liked it). He was very personable, efficient and professional.

The casino took our money, but we had a lot of fun losing.

We went to the aerial show. It was excellent. I wish we had gone to more shows, but there will definitely be more cruises with NCL.

Disembarkation was quick and easy. We were able to take a leisurely breakfast at Cagney's, check our room one last time for anything that might have been left behind and had a quick exit from the ship. We are surely going to miss our time with Dawn.

Overall the service was excellent, we had a lot of fun and we were sad to leave. I would definitely recommend this ship to a friend. Less

Read more Norwegian Dawn cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Dawn Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Dawn 9506

The owner's suite with two balconies was really nice. The half bath came in handy with 3 people and there was enough room that we didn't feel confined. The only thing I didn't like was the lack of drawer space. There were three small draws in the closet, but no more. We all lived out of our suitcases, except what was hung up. The other thing I will comment on is the front balcony. Being at the front of the ship, it was nice go get sun during port days, but it was closed when we were sailing. Granted it was rough leaving out of Boston, the balcony door was open for us to go out and experience the front during sailing. On the way out of Bermuda, although the seas weren't as rough, they locked the door so that we could not access the balcony. Please note that if you are in a room with only a forward facing balcony, you may lose your balcony during sailing. Overall I think the experience of free style cruising converted me over.

Glass Bottom Boat

(3)

The best part of this excursion was taking the night sailing. We took the boat from the wharf at sunset. It was beautiful. We went out to the shipwreck with all the other boats. Not impressed with the shipwreck or the coral/fish.

Horseshoe Bay Beach

(4)

The beach was beautiful. Our driver was late picking us up. It was expensive to rent a chair and umbrella. Drink prices were comparable to those on the ship.

Island Tour

(4)

Informative of the island and culture. The ferry ride back was nice.

Reef Fishing

(1)

Cancelled due to lack of participation.