Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by cpizzull: Great ship and cruise....

cpizzull
Member Since 2003

Compare Prices on Oasis of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

Great ship and cruise....

Sail Date: May 2014

Will keep it short since there's so many detailed reviews out there.

10th cruise, 4th on RCCL..went with a group of 33 total

Pre-cruise: stayed at Embassy Suites night before; took 2 taxis at 11am for my immediate group of 6 (waited about 10 mins), basically at $12/taxi with tip. Note that Embassy has shuttle service at $8/person, but I saw them trying to fill one up and offering $5/person. Part of group in front of us took that offer.

Embark: Went very smooth at Ft. Lauderdale. I've seen better and I've seen much worse.

Ship: We were on the ship before noon and headed to Park Cafe for the amazing roast beef sandwiches. Unfortunately, everybody was gong there and the line went out the door so we decided to head to windjammer. Line at windjammer but only waited like 5-10 minutes. This is a welcome sacrifice as you only get in the WJ when a table is available. It cuts down on the traffice inside immensely. I'm so thankful they do this now cause I More remembering it being a madhouse in there at times. Anyway, cabin ready just after 1pm so perfect.

Love the layout of the ship, and loved being on same deck as Park Cafe. Basically wake up at 11 and go get roast beef 100 feet away, ha. The only slight problem on layout is the Comedy club is so small that if you can't keep your reservations, you need to get in line at least 15-20 mins ahead of time for standby. The room only holds 90 at a time and with limited shows and 6,000 people on board, be warned. Good thing is they seem to get about 20-35 standby's in per show. Our Hairspray show got cancelled and they rescheduled it during our last dinner, so never got a chance to see that. Come Fly with Me was definitely worth seeing. Oh, loved the comedy shows. Simeon is very funny and you must see him do his snowman. Wasn't too crazy on the deck party being in the Solarium. It gets quite stuffy up there, not cool. Also, Dazzles got VERY warm as well.

One bad thing about layout....our dining table was just thru the front doors on deck 4. You could smell smoke coming from the casino. That is not cool if you have the sensitive nose to pick it up so be warned.

Food: Overall, it seems like the quality of food in dining room, and windjammer, is slightly lower than I remember. To me, the lentil soup and the beef tenderloin were the only dinner items worth bragging about. I also had something 'bad' one dinner as I spent the night sleeping on the toilet, doh.

Service: cabin and dinner were excellent...guess services not so much....waited in line 5 times just to get extra keys made that kept failing..kept telling us it was a software problem..however, the 5th time they just closed sea pass cards and opened up new ones...they could've done that the 2nd time and saved a ton of frustration....so, if your extra key doesn't work 1st time, just tell them to close and get new cards with extra key cards at same time!

The ports were all excellent, or as good as I expected. Get your beach chairs early in Labadee, Jamaica (we did Dunns River and Bamboo Blu beach thru knowjamiaca tours since first time there) was tons of fun but Falmouth is so damn far away so it take about an hour each way, and in Cozumel we did Nachi Cocum this time (well worth it). The snorkel tour out to the reefs was below expectations and a bit rough. Water was not nearly as clear as I expected, maybe it was due to rains a few hours beforehand.

The big take away is this ship is amazing and I'm glad we tried this one since the wife is sick of cruising, ha. It was one of the least crowded ships I felt, even though 6,100 passengers. Less

Read more Oasis of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Oasis of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Oasis of the Seas 8131

Loved this cabin. We love the total darkness for sleeping late. It was always quiet outside in the hallways and I believe there is nobody on the 'bed' side of our cabin. I think I did hear the tv above us once in a while but nothing too bad. Oh, don't turn off your cabin master switch as it also turns off the air, ha.The other key for us was being on Deck 8 with easy access to Park Cafe. Only problem is Park Cafe closes at 6pm so basically grabbed iced tea for the night from Sorrentos on Deck 5.