Norwegian Getaway Cruise Review by PatriotsHeat: Decent cruise, but not as enjoyable as I thought.

PatriotsHeat
Member Since 2014

Compare Prices on Norwegian Getaway Southern Caribbean Cruises

Decent cruise, but not as enjoyable as I thought.

Sail Date: May 2014
Destination: Southern Caribbean

I an not an experienced cruiser like most on here. Have only been on RC (Allure and Oasis), and Crown Princess. First time out of Miami, as we live in Ft. Lauderdale. It is longer to get to, but the process was quicker and less crowded.

Boat was nice, looked good, and new. Entertainment was good.....Illusionarium was cool, Burn the Floor was great, and loved the waterslides. Watching Heat game on 25' Atrium screen was great (although Heat lost). This was a relaxation cruise, so we had the spa balcony, and it was worth it. The Thermal spa totally rocked, and was a great getaway from the crowds and noise....best part of the ship. Ports were not great, especially if you have been to them before, but we did have a great excursion on the Mirabella snorkel and swim...awesome!

Food......not good. This is a big thing for us on a cruise. I am have heard others on cruises complaining about the food and thought to myself, "Wow, I think the food is great." This time, not so More much. Food from buffet was under cooked, cold, and mostly flavorless. I always seems hungry, probably because nothing satisfied. We had the "Specialty Dining Package" for free, so we tried to do those every night. Not that impressed. If we had paid for it, or just paid for each meal, I would have been very upset. Oh, as a coffee drinker, probably worst coffee on a cruise line.

Sea days were tough, too many people on the boat. For only 4,000 people, seemed more than that. Was on the Allure with about 6,000 people, and that didn't seem as crowded as the Getaway. The pool area is a joke, one pool on the whole boat, and it is not big. There is a kid's pool by the water slides, but it always has too many kids in it. Unless you are getting up at 7am, to "save" a spot by the pool, you are not sitting by it. However, there was many available spots, just up on the next deck. Gym users will be disappointed. I counted 25-30 cardio machines, for 4,000 people. Not cool! The "gym" was horrible. So cramped and the machines were not good. It looked great, because it was all new, but even 10 people in there, caused you to not be able to do anything.

Overall, there was always something to do, the boat looks nice, the staff was very friendly to us, and being on a 5 month old boat is better than a 5 year old boat. Yet, we felt like there was something missing. Based on having to go to Miami, the poor food, and a crowed feel at most times, we will probably not cruise Norwegian again. We will try a different line, or stay with Princess. Less

Read more Norwegian Getaway cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Getaway Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Getaway 14744

Cabins very small, but got used to it quickly. The balcony was the smallest I have ever seen, but it forced us to not stay in the room that much, and if we did go on it, was no problem to stand at rails and look out on horizon. Bathroom was fine. Oh......tv only has like 6 channels, if you take away the Norwegian channels. I know I was on vacation, and don't want to watch tv, but took us 2 days to find out who won the Spurs/Thunder game.