Celebrity Equinox Cruise Review by jonruth

Member Name: jonruth
Cruise Date: May 2014
Embarkation: Barcelona
Destination: Mediterranean
See More About: Celebrity Equinox Cruise Reviews | Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Celebrity Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Dining 5+
Public Rooms 5+
Spa & Fitness 5+
Value-for-Money 5+

Great first time cruise and without many additional expenses

We arrived at the port on the early side and the line looked very long. Immediately our suitcases were collected since they were tagged with what they sent us. As the line progressed I saw the largest number of service windows I ever saw and we quickly got to one and within 5 minutes from that headed on board.

At the room we were greeted by a nice assistant who showed us a few things and said he'd call to get our suitcases sent over. We were very happy with the room and though we knew the measurements and had seen pictures we figured it'd feel much smaller than it turned out to be. The suitcases arrived by the time we returned from exploring around parts of the ship. We had two huge suitcases and two carry on. Everything fit well away and we were able to shove the empty suitcases under the bed.

We ate all but two dinners in the Main Dining Room and only two breakfasts there. All other meals we did in Oceanview which we thought was great. The specialty restaurants looked nice but we were too happy with the food we were getting to seriously consider splurging. We're not drinkers and got by just fine with the standard water, lemonade and ice-tea. Any drinks beyond that were on shore for us.

There were two sea days. If there were a third it would have been too much for me. On the first I went to a presentation on ship navigation and a tour of the kitchen operation. Both were interesting but I didn't see anything similar for the rest of the cruise. We went to the evening entertainment about 5 or 6 times. I would say not the kind I would pay for but enjoyable. We also took advantage of on-demand movies on the Apple TV in the room.

The gym was fantastic. I used it each morning and while I was surprised how many others did it was so well equipped that it didn't matter. I also timed being there for port arrival a few times because the view from the 14th floor in front of the ship with floor to ceiling windows is great.

We, sorry, weren't that interested in meeting others and took the flexible seating for dinner. Each evening (and morning when relevant) we asked for a table for two and we always got it, and without waiting.

We also didn't take any of the excursions but always spent the port days off ship. We went to several of the presentations of the upcoming ports. I expected them to sell the excursions there but the presentations were professional and took into account that the attendees made their decisions already. In every case we saw the major sites and got around fine without noticeable risk of returning late. Each deboard and reboard in the ports was efficient and virtually without lines. One tip for tether ports. Understand in advance where and when the tickets can be collected and get there early. In both cases I thought I'd be among the first and both times I got us a high number. Not a disaster, but we tended not to make much use of our time while waiting for the number to come up.

I thought the spa prices were way out of our range but there were reasonable deals the last couple of days.

Finally, the end. We were given an unboarding time of 09:20. Suitcases had to be outside the room and tagged the evening before. We showed up with our carry on at 09:20 and I woulnd't have believed it, but by 09:30 we were off the ship and with our suitcases.

Overall it was a great cruise. The ship was great, staff friendly and service oriented. We both enjoyed beyond our expectations and while everything extra on board was expensive, we knew in advance and didn't feel the need for anything beyond what was included. Cleaniless was also emphasized to an obsession which is commendable.

Publication Date: 06/12/14