“Fell a little short of expectations”
Cruise review of Tauck ms Inspire

tonir1025 ms Inspire 4 Fell a little short of expectations
tonir1025
Member Since 2014
No Forum Posts
Overall Member Rating

We booked a river cruise with Tauck based on reviews from friends and the new longship.

Pluses: The MS Inspire is a beautiful ship. The lobby and common areas are beautiful and spotless. We booked a little late and the only room available was a Cat. 3 on the bottom deck with the steps up to the large windows. We loved the room, but we heard very loud noises all night, as if toilets were being flushed right outside our door. Although this is a minus, I spoke to Steve, our tour director, and he immediately offered us another room on the middle deck. From them on we didn't hear anything and slept like babies. The Scylla crew was wonderful, very helpful and friendly. Steve was a terrific tour director. Carrie, Mark and Lacey were on top of their game,

Minuses: This is not a cheap cruise, but we felt the food was maybe a B. We were expecting real gourmet fare, but it fell a little short. For example, we started out with local German wines, but by the last night we had Chilean and South African wines. We were not that far from France - really? The portions were on the small side which was fine for me but my husband could have gone for seconds, never offered. I will say that the soups were outstanding! And the staff was very accomodating to my gluten allergy, going out of their way to ensure I had GF bread and dessert. Now for the not so good news: except for the cathedral in Cologne, we should have skipped Dusseldorf and Cologne altogether. The cities are dirty and have no charm, the local guides were awful (Reiner) and we did not enjoy it at all. We had 2 off the boat excursions, and the meals were terrible at both places. Lunch took way too long and our pork was inedible, dinner at the castle was not much better. We joked that we were at Medeival Times with corney entertainment and bad tourist food. We made the most of it and actually had a good time with our new friends from the boat, but we should have toured the castle, had a drink and snack, and eaten on the boat - OR had a better caterer! Fortunately the stops improved after that - from Koblenz on the cities were charming. Strasbourg and Baden-Baden were wonderful, I wished we skipped the earlier stops and expanded those stops to a day each. The cruise during the middle Rhine was awesome, looking at all the castles. And Luzerne was the best of all - a great city, good shopping, and the trip up to Mt. Pilatus was the best day of the trip - up the mountain in cable cars, down on the cog wheel train - the most beautiful views.

I think that people who take the cruise from Basel to Amsterdam will be very disappointed since the trip gets worse from south to north.

Overall - given the premium price, I am not so sure we will book another river cruise with Tauck. Although we ldid love the benefits of river cruising - unpack once, see many cities, and enjoy the relaxing feeling of floating down a calm river.

Overall Ratings
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review:

6213
As stated above, cabin 104 has noise issues - I don;t know who could possibly sleep through the flushing and banging that went on all night. Cabin 213 was darn near perfect.

Cologne Cathedral

Cologne Cathedral is the only reason to visit Cologne. The city is dirty and not charming at all. We went through Dusseldorf first which was even worse, and the local tour guide was not good, we didn't understand him and he had no rapport with the group.

Published 06/11/14
Read Cruise Critic’s ms Inspire Review
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?