Amsterdam Cruise Review by ciffie: Beautiful cruise, but worse cruiseship!
Compare Prices on Amsterdam Alaska Cruises
Beautiful cruise, but worse cruiseship!
We don't know why so many people are enthousiastic about this ship? We did already several other cruises with other company's, but the "Amsterdam" is really bad compared with the other ships we had. But positive thing and most important: the Alaska-cruise was beautiful! About the ship:
- embarkation in Seattle was perfect. In a couple of minutes we were already on the boat
- first impression of the ship was small, but we knew that already. And of course, a lot of older people!! And we mean with a lot, more than 80%! So be aware that you have to wait a lot of time as there are many "slow movers" on the ship! Sometimes it is frustrating in the Lido Buffet, but it is holiday....so don't frustrate!!! Interior of the ship is beuatiful with a lot of Dutch Artworks and other unique items. We liked it!
- we were in stateroom (oceanroom) 2685. A nice room, not too small and nice bed to sleep. But as we were together we were littlebit disappointed that there was 1 More towel in the room when we entered the room. Why? No checkings? And this is a trip to Alaska, middle of the summer. You have to close the window in the evening with a simple curtain. A lot of light is still in the room, even it is 12am....so why no curtains to make it more dark in the room? And did anyone inspect the door inside of the room on cleaning? This was really dirty! Fingertips, old dirt was vissible...jaiks!!! Bathroom is ok, but still with an old-fashioned curtain. And be aware that the floor upstairs is the walk-promenade, so around 7am you can hear already the first people walking!
* La Fontaine. Beautiful restaurant to see and also to eat. We liked the food, but the food was not what we expected from the HAL. We travelled last year with the Princess and this food was more variated and same quality or even better. Our thoughts were that the HAL had the best quality of diners? But this isn't unfortunately. Our most negative point was the wine-serving. The first night we could wait till now I am writing. No one was coming. After already asked we asked this again when we had already the main-menu! And finally someone was coming. This was happening again after some days. But the wine-server "Antonio" is really good, he is hard working!
But is someone inspecting the clothes of the servers? Every evening we were surprised about the dirty clothes of the servers? Never seen this on other cruiseships! And why did we had 2 days old flowers in the restaurant and other parts of the ship? And is someone inspecting the forks, knives before someone is dining? Almost every evening something was missing on the table!
And did someone test the coffee? This is the worst coffee we ever drunk!
* Lido buffet. Good variety of food. We had only breakfast and lunch here. The quality of food is good/very good. But one big negative thing. The coffee-machine is more not working than working. Very frustrating every time. And a lot people were complaining about this!
And we didn't like the server behind the "sandwich"-buffet. He was always sulky. He never laughed or make a chat. Can this server removed of the ship?
Last thing about the Lido. Many servers were more talking together than working. We never seen this on other ships
* Pinnacle. In one word: EXCELLENT! This is the quality what you expect on a HAL-ship! Very good food, service, atmosphere.
One thing...happy hour....this is normal one buy, one free.... on this ship it is, one buy, other for one dollar. But....why do we have to pay this with 2 cards???? It was not possible if you was alone and order a drink with the happy hour...very strange...
- Service of HAL "Amsterdam". We were negative surprised about the service of this ship. The first days looked liked that the people working on this ship didnt like to work. Almost everybody was negative. We heard same of many other cruise-passengers. Something happened on this ship before we entered this ship, this must be for sure!
We wrote a small survey on first days of the trip. This was treated very good by the HAL. We received some chocolates for our survey and also excuses. But after this most of our comments were not solved in the rest of the trip....unfortunately...
I was really disappointed in the employees of the reception. I visited the reception as 2 of the 4 dryers on the third floor were not working again. As it was very crowdy in this wash-room (already at 7.30 am!) this was giving a big delay. Every time when I visited the washroom some dryers were "out of order". So I asked the reception when the dryers will be fixed. What was the answer of the employee? I had to go to the other wash-room on the 6th floor! Pardon????? The dryers have to work and to be fixed!!!! This is not the answer what I expect from the HAL. I was very frustrated about this
On the last evening we received a letter that the bill of the trip would be delivered before 6am last morning on the ship. Well even this very easy thing to do was giving problems for this ship. As we had to leave the ship 7.15 hours and we didn't had the bill at 6.45 we went to the reception. But we saw our cleaner in the corridor preparing the bills. We asked if he had our bill. And yes, he had! But why so late?? Only half our before leaving you could inspect your bill.... This is no service!!
About the photographers on this ship. It is so funny to see that they didn't want to make pictures. THey were more talking together than making pictures. But no problem, no pictures, no money for this ship! Hahaha...
- Tours/places to stay:
tours organized by HAL were very good! Well organized and value for money. We liked most the floatplane in Ketchikan, wale-tour in Ice Strait Point and the raft in Sitka.
Places to stay: we don't understand why this ship is stopping in Homer. There isn't nothing to do! Don't stop anymore in this place and stay for longer for example in Sitka or Victoria. The best places to stay!
Our overall impression of the Amsterdam is unfortunately negative. But fortunately we had a very good holiday as we liked Alaska! But next time with other company!! Less
Read more Amsterdam cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Amsterdam Review >>
Compare Prices on Amsterdam Alaska Cruises
Cabin review: 2685
we were in stateroom (oceanroom) 2685. A nice room, not too small and nice bed to sleep. But as we were together we were littlebit disappointed that there was 1 towel in the room when we entered the room. Why? No checkings? And this is a trip to Alaska, middle of the summer. You have to close the window in the evening with a simple curtain. A lot of light is still in the room, even it is 12am....so why no curtains to make it more dark in the room? And did anyone inspect the door inside of the room on cleaning? This was really dirty! Fingertips, old dirt was vissible...jaiks!!! Bathroom is ok, but still with an old-fashioned curtain. And be aware that the floor upstairs is the walk-promenade, so around 7am you can hear already the first people walking!
Stinking Starboard; Flagship i...
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugl...
Second HAL was so perfect.