Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by marybethhuebner: Family of 6 Adults

Family of 6 Adults

Sail Date: May 2014
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Rome (Civitavecchia)

We chose this cruise as a present to my two daughters who are adults. Due to time constraints with one just graduating law school and then having to prepare for the bar...it was one of only two cruises we could take. Some ideas of mine from the cruise.

First I have sailed before 5 times on Carnival and once on the Allure with Royal. I thought the itinerary was amazing and as such a lot of the flaws with the ship were not so evident. One is that you have to walk through the casino for everything. Not only do you have to walk through but the smoking section is in the center where people are walking while the non smoking section is to the edge. (I even play poker and found it annoying).

Second the food service is as slow as everybody complains about in the main dining rooms. I found the service very lack luster. I missed having a set time for dining and a staff that remembered us. (Rodney in Taste was fantastic. The only one I can say that about.)

Room service More is good. While interior rooms tend to be very small.

Entertainment was so-so. I was tired most nights and did not do much. My husband and Daughter went to Cirque and really enjoyed it. Blue man group I could not sit through. But that has something to do with me and not necessarily the performance. Graffiti Classics was great.

Embarking and disembarking in Rome was a cinch. Might be because there were a lot less of us than in Barcelona. Less

Read more Norwegian Epic cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Epic Review >>

City Tour

Went to the Medicis Chapel and loved it. Not crowded so you could get a sense of the majesty of it all. Additionally went to Santa Croce and loved the history there.

Uffizi Museum

(4)

Immense and beautiful Need to stay a week sometime in Florence

Herculaneum

(5)

Small and cozy. Really got a feel for the detruction

Pompeii Walking Tour

Nice and large. Very historical. Go see the Brothel

Private Tour

(5)

Wanted to see both Herculaneum and Pompeii and this was the way we could do both. Went to Heraculenum first and loved the coziness of the place. Our tour guide was very sweet and fun. Learned a lot of the history of the time. Small enough so you could get a fell for the place...esp seeing the bones still there.

Pompeii was next. The place is immense. Glad we had a guide. Between the two places not sure which I would pick to see.

Did Palma on our own. The cathedral is lovely. Walked to the Arab Baths. Not much there but still enjoyed the place.Took a taxi to Castle Bellver and loved walking around it. Palma was the port I expected very little from and got the most out of.

Colosseum

It was nice

Private Tour

Went to Coliseum and the forum. Had Francesca as a private Tour Guide she was great. Very personable and knowledgeable. This was booked thru Rome Driving. Picked us and our luggage up at the pier. Toured us thru the city and then dropped us at the hotel.

Before we went on the cruise booked an excursion with the same company to Tivoli. It was a wonderful way to start our vacation.

Sistine Chapel

(2)

Way to crowded and noisy. Esp with the Guards yelling quiet and move to the center please.

Spanish Steps

OK

St. Peter's Basilica

(4)

Still to packed. However the Pieta was magnificent.

Trevi Fountain

(4)

Very packed. Nice but not spectacular

Vatican Museums

(3)

This was so packed it is really hard to enjoy it. I even went on a Thursday do not go on a Wed.