Celebrity Eclipse Cruise Review by pallatine: Luxury Cruising? NOT!

pallatine
Member Since 2014

Compare Prices on Celebrity Eclipse Southern Caribbean Cruises

Luxury Cruising? NOT!

Sail Date: March 2014
Destination: Southern Caribbean

I had booked this cruise in August 2013. It was advertised as a Deluxe Balcony with prepaid gratuities and a $100 on board credit. A week prior to departure, we received an e-mail from the Travel Agent telling us that Celebrity would not honor the prepaid gratuities! Needless to say, I was not pleased! I had to insist and involve several managers and supervisors to get the gratuities paid. The travel agent offered to send us a check for the amount after the cruise but I wanted them paid on board! Finally it was agreed that they would be paid.

We boarded the ship quickly and efficiently because we arrived at 2:00 PM.

We had asked for a table for 2 and were assured that this was assigned. NOT! We were assigned to a table for 9 (this is not even close to 2!) I waited to speak to the maitre d' and he assigned us to a table which was as far back in the Dining Room as you could go beside the service station when the table by the window was available and any time diners More were seated there nightly! We found the food to be substandard and dishes that were supposed to be cold were warm and dishes that were supposed to be hot were cold. The chairs in the dining room were very uncomfortable and we had to stop going there because of this. We ended up going to the buffet instead. How many ways can you serve stew as a gourmet entry! Steaks at the Buffet were acceptable as long as you watched to make sure that they were not overcooked. Desserts were terrible. Ordered a paninni and it was put on the plate burnt! I do not think it is very luxurious to serve myself coffee or lemonade. Of course, if you want an alcohol drink, it is served to you.The best meal we had in 2 weeks was a hamburger! That speaks volumes. Too many staff eating in the buffet area at prime times so there was a problem with seating. The buffet was never ready at the same time and nobody seemed to know what they were doing.

Room was nice except not very clean. When we entered, over near the door was an empty water bottle behind the unlined trash can.This tells me that it was not vacuumed properly and nothing was moved. The fridge was full of alcohol and I could not even put water in there. I had the room steward remove it and low and behold, it is stored under the bed! I wiped the shower floor with a face cloth and it was dirty. Storage is terrible. The closets over the bed do not work unless you are 6 feet tall! I am not going to stand on the bed to store my clothing! Bathroom storage may be good but is not needed. More in-room storage is needed.

Why is there grass and why is it "resting" most of the time? If I wanted to lie on the grass, I could do that at home. These areas would be better used for lounge chairs or perhaps another pool! The adult pool is indoors and hardly anyone used it.

Disembarkation was a nightmare! We wanted to leave early so were taking our own luggage. We were held in one of the dining rooms with hundreds of others and disembarkation was from a different floor! Does that make sense? The terminal was not open and we had to walk almost the whole length of the ship and back the other way to get to customs dragging the luggage. Less

Read more Celebrity Eclipse cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Eclipse Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Eclipse 8115

Balcony was great and was used frequently. Bathroom was standard and no larger than other deluxe balcony rooms.