Carnival Glory Cruise Review by VASOXFANN: Our first, and definitely not our last, Carnival cruise

VASOXFANN
Member Since 2008
1,345 Posts

Entertainment Not Rated

Compare Prices on Carnival Glory Western Caribbean Cruises

Our first, and definitely not our last, Carnival cruise

Sail Date: May 2014

My fiancé and I are getting married on a Carnival ship in September. Neither one of us had sailed with Carnival before, so we figured we would give them a try and take a relaxing cruise before the stress of the wedding hit. We had a week off, airline credits from a previously-cancelled trip, and the last minutes for this cruise were very reasonable, so we went for it.

We booked an inside guarantee and were assigned an inside cabin on deck 6. We were happy. The day before we left, Carnival called and offered us a balcony cabin on the Lido deck for a great price. We took it and absolutely loved our Lido balcony. Carnival earned major cool points with us early on.

We flew into Ft. Lauderdale and took SAS Transportation to the port. We highly recommend SAS; they are half the price of Carnival's bus and excellent. Even though we were notified that there was a Coast Guard inspection and not to arrive at the port until 1, they were checking people in. Although while More I was pulling my passport out to show the security guard, I was practically knocked over by a "lady" who thought she was God's gift because she had FTTF, we quickly checked in were on the ship by 12:30 (not much longer after her. HA HA). I get the whole FTTF thing, but there is no need to push and shove over it, or you might find yourself eating your lobster with a straw. Just sayin' Anyway, the cabins weren't accessible until 1:30. The buffet and Guy's Burgers were open. I had a burger, which was good but not awe inspiring as I had read. We then took a nap and had the buffet for dinner because we were exhausted. The food on the buffet was delicious (the ribs really stood out).

The itinerary was a day at sea, Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, Costa Maya, another sea day, then back to Miami. We did private excursions for all but Roatan, where we booked Carnival's Tabayana Beach Break (excellent!) More on the ports below.

We ate in the dining room 3-4 nights. The food was good, especially the lobster on the first formal night, the steaks, and count me in as a lover of the warm chocolate melting cake. The other nights we hit the buffet or got room service, just because we were tired or "sleeping it off" after our excursions.

Our only real complaint was the layout of the ship. The décor was a little glitzy for my taste, but whatever, but as for the layout, we got lost a few times trying to find our dining room on deck 3 because to access it, we had to go upstairs to deck 5, through the casino, and back down to deck 3. Very strange. We eventually figured out we could go all the way aft on deck 9 and take the elevator down to deck 3 to get there, but it still makes no sense to put a dining room in such a strange place. My other complaint was the size of the swimming pools. There were only 3 that I could find that were very small and always packed. We swim and do water aerobics for exercise, and those pools were worthless for anything but a quick dip or PDA. We didn't try the hot tubs, but they were always full. My disappointment with the pools was always soothed with a, always-available strawberry frozen yogurt from one of the machines by the pools or buffet. I ate entirely too much of that, but it was so worth it :)

We didn't go to shows or see comedians or anything like that because that isn't our thing. We did enjoy the movies and basketball games shown on the big screen by the main pool, with plenty of free popcorn and (of course) ice cream/frozen yogurt. We never had a problem finding a deck chair or anything like that.

We didn't try the Steakhouse or Chef's Table. I did try to get my fiancé a coffee at Creams on deck 5. The lady was very rude. First she said the advertised special was no longer available, then the stuff she handed me was NOT expresso. I'd recommend avoiding that place!

All in all, we had a wonderful time. A few hiccups here and there, but nothing is perfect. We'll happily said on Carnival again if the price and itinerary are right! Less

Read more Carnival Glory cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Glory Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Glory Balcony Lido 9269

The upsell fairy called us the day before we left and offered this cabin at a great price. We were originally in an inside on deck 6 that Carnival assigned as a last minute pack-n-go, so we jumped at it. This is a great cabin midship on the Lido deck, near the elevators. We could hear the atrium music at night, but it didn't bother us. The bed was very comfortable. The balcony was nice. Our Steward, Coleman, was wonderful, and left chocolates and adorable towel animals every night. We would take it again in a heartbeat!

My fiancé is an attorney who is interested in one day practicing in Belize. We were both interested in the legal system of Belize, and we contacted Gregory to arrange a tour of the courts of legal buildings. Ian, a Belize police corporal, took us on a walking tour of the city and the buildings we wished to see. It was the most interesting and informative tour of our cruise.

It was a beautiful port, but we were beached out by that point, so we went souvenir shopping and bought some beautiful jewelry to give as gifts to our wedding party. We had a nice time even without an excursion.

Bar Hop

We booked the Cozumel Bar Hop. an independent company that takes people around to bars on the gorgeous undeveloped side of the island. We met at Senor Frogs and went to 4 different bars. The drinks were strong (with names like Mayan Sacrifice, The Iguana, and Rasta Punch) and the salsa and guacamole delicious and plentiful. We were feeling no pain at the end. I missed dinner that night and slept straight through Belize!

Read 21 Bar Hop Reviews

Beach Day

(5)

Due to recent crimes on tourists in Roatan, we decided to play it safe an book a Carnival excursion. We were ready for a lazy day at the beach, so we chose the Tabayana Beach Break. The beach was gorgeous, powder white sand and clear blue water, with plenty of loungers in the sun and shade. There are locker rooms with fresh water showers. A security guard watches your stuff while you swim, and waiters come to you. Snorkel equipment was available to rent, but it wasn't needed; hundreds of colorful fish swam up to us, and the water was so clear we could see them. Drinks such as water, lemonade, and iced tea were included, but lunch was extra. It was good, but pricey. If you order the tropical fruit, share with someone because they give you a TON!

The worst part of this excursion were two women who were loudly complaining about the road conditions, the poverty of the country, and how wonderful they are by bringing their kids along on cruises so they can see how lucky they are compared to other people, all in front of the tour guide and driver. I hope they don't think all Americans are like that :(