Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by CruisingChick: Many Highs and a few lows on Celebrity Summit to Bermuda

CruisingChick
Member Since 2003
7,677 Posts

Compare Prices on Celebrity Summit Bermuda Cruises

Many Highs and a few lows on Celebrity Summit to Bermuda

Sail Date: May 2014
Destination: Bermuda
Embarkation: Bayonne (Cape Liberty)

Background: My DH is 60 and I'm 56. This was our 21st cruise - 18th with Celebrity. It was also our 6th time on Summit, 11th time cruising out of Cape Liberty and our 3rd time to Bermuda. We did this cruise last year May 19-26, 2013. We decided to do the Memorial Day week cruise so we only had to use 4 vacation days from work since Memorial Day was a holiday.

Two days before we left we got an e-mail and phone call from Celebrity saying there would be a Coast Guard Inspection on Sunday, May 25th and embarkation would not start until 12:00 Noon. We didn't want to wait to leave the house since traffic would then be worse. I am glad we left when we originally planned. We left the house around 9:00 AM got to the port a little after 10:00 AM. Dropped off our luggage, parked the car and checked in. We were on the ship at 10:45 AM. So much for delayed embarkation. We found out later in the week during the Captain's talk that the Coast Guard had canceled the inspection. More

Celebrity still has the wonderful touch of greeting you with champagne, mimosa or orange juice when you walk on board. It’s a nice touch and we appreciate that they still do this. Since rooms would not be ready until close to 1:30 PM, my husband went to the fitness center and I went to lay on the pool deck in the shade. There was practically no one on board yet.

Close to 1:30 PM they announced the rooms were ready so we headed down to drop off our carry ons and then go eat.

Unfortunately our room was not totally clean, there was still garbage in the bathroom and the floor to the bathroom was wet (and I have to admit smelled a bit like urine). At this point I am worried that what started off so good was going to turn bad.

We saw that our stateroom attendant’s name was Joanne. We were on Summit back in September 2013 and had a Joanne, I wondered if it was the same woman, and it was. She is very good that is why I was shocked our room was not 100% done. She had her assistance come and apologize to us for not finishing the bathroom.

After this we went up to Deck 10 Buffet to eat lunch. I can’t remember what I had but all the food was very good.

Food: For use one of the most important things about cruising is the food. The food in the Main Dining Room for dinner was terrific as was our service. We had a great table for 8 - late seating. We did the buffet for lunch every day and loved the new little baskets, bowls and pans. The food was very good but I would have liked a little more variety. They did expand the carving/meats section and the cheese section during lunch. They also have pizza, pasta, sandwiches, a pool side grill with hamburgers, hot dogs, fries and waffles with chicken (which I had never seen before). Le'ts just say I gained a lot of weight on this cruise.

Entertainment: This was really hit and miss. We had a 54 Below show with Ken Page. This was fantastic and the best show of the cruise. The productions shows are okay, maybe because we've seen them before, we are just getting tired of them. The cast does work very hard and they are very enthusiastic and energetic. There was a piano player and singer, Jordan Peterson who we enjoyed listening to and a duo - 5 O'Clock Somewhere who we also enjoyed. We did not enjoy the new DJ plus Percussion that they now have. Listen if I want to go to South Beach or Las Vegas, etc. I will go there, to me this just doesn't fit in with people wanted to be at a venue and talk to one another. It's CLUB music. They also had a house band which we were not that found of either. The music they played was just average. We felt there was nothing happening after 11:00 PM.

Our cruise director Lisa Richards was great. She's got a terrific voice herself and should do her own show on the ship. There was also a juggler/comedian which was different. At least he was entertaining. They also had Sin City comedy with adult comedy and burlesque. They had 3 shows but we did not attend after someone we knew went and said it was tasteless and not funny.

Activities: We didn't do to many activities. They had trivia, bingo, x-box games, dance lessons, scrap booking, flash mob, pool volleyball - officers vs. passengers, cooking demonstrations, lectures by the Chief Engineer and one by the Captain (which was hysterical). They also had the infamous Art Auctions by Park West, which they had gotten rid of at one time. One thing they did not have on this cruise was the "Enrichment Series" they usually have. I asked the Cruise Director and she said they stopped doing them on the Bermuda cruises. DH and I were very disappointment. I'm sure there is more that I'm missing.

Loyalty Club: We are Elite+ Captain's Club members and we were very pleased with most of the perks, but felt the change in the Elite breakfast was not for the better. Absolutely loved having 200 free internet minutes.

Disembarkation was almost as painless as getting on the ship. We got off at 8:20 AM, were in the car on the way home at 8:38 AM and got home at 9:40 AM and went grocery shopping - back to reality. Less

Read more Celebrity Summit cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Summit Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Summit 7115

We have been in this stateroom before. It's and inside cabin on deck 7 very mid-ship. It's a great location and makes getting anywhere on the ship very easy. Our only complaint is that our bathroom floor was always wet. Sometimes not so bad, and it took me all week to try and find the source of the water. Seems it was coming from the bottom corner of the shower. The grout or something needs to be redone. Other than that annoyance the room was clean with plenty of room for all our things for a 7 night cruise. On really good thing about our statement and not sure if all staterooms can do this we picked up the Celebrity wi-fi with no problems at all. It was nice to be able to stay in the stateroom and go on the internet on our tablets while relaxing.

Bermuda is lovely. This was our third time here. The transportation passes make it so easy to go all over the island. The one day past is $15 per person and the 2 day is $25 per person. They have to be used in consecutive days but you can take the ferry and buses all over the island. We liked Horseshoe beach, Gibbs Hill Lighthouse, the Crystal Caves, the Swizzle Inn and taking the ferry over to St. George. We had very nice weather, in the mid 70's. Last year we did a tour with Byways Tours - Heidi - and this year table mates of ours did the exact same tour and loved it.