Allure of the Seas Cruise Review by DEBISONG1: Allure of the Seas Review - April 27 - May 4, 2014

DEBISONG1
Member Since 2014

Compare Prices on Allure of the Seas Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Allure of the Seas Review - April 27 - May 4, 2014

Sail Date: April 2014

The cruise started off alright. The first day went well – my group had 8 travelers and we were ready to have a great time since we’ve always travelled on Royal Caribbean and we were so excited about it.

First off, we rented a mobility scooter for my husband for $225 with the Special Needs Group. This scooter broke down on my husband several times and we were somewhat stranded. We had to return it for a new one after it totally conked out. At this point, the customer service people were really nice to us and we appreciated it. They replaced the scooter and apologized for the inconvenience. Things were going well.

Also, I spent an hour on the phone booking excursions and explaining that I had a motorized wheel chair and my husband would have a motorized scooter. The cruise line billed me and I paid I advance for both my husband and I, to go on the excursions we booked. When we arrived at the dock to take the BLUE LAGOON Excursion in Nassau, and after More sitting there for an hour, we were told that they could not take us BECAUSE OF the motorized scooter and the motorized wheelchair. Our group was able to go on without us but we were really disappointed. Especially, since I was so clear about our special needs on the phone. They refunded our money for all of the excursions due to the same reason. Things started turning bad.

Not wishing to stay on the boat during the whole cruise - we booked an excursion at the Sea Aquarium, I believe it was in St. Thomas. Although we were there waiting at the dock early, they filled the newer air conditioned van first with other people, and made us wait in the sun for a second older van that came smoking down the hill. They put us on a van that could accommodate our motorized chairs. The brakes on this van were burning and grinding on the whole trip. The odor filled the inside of the van. As we went up and down those steep hills, I just started praying. At some point the driver had to open the door because the air conditioner conked out. It was awful. The brakes were grinding so hard, I feared that we might have an accident. We booked the excursion through the cruise line and the driver was friendly. However, the excursion was awful in my opinion. The only food vendor was an outdoor restaurant which charged us $19.00 for 2 cheeseburgers (without the sodas), which we ate while iguanas roamed around us. This did not make me happy at all. IT WAS NOT FUN! At this point the attitude of the folks in customer relations started changing. When I spoke to the guy who booked the trip for us at the excursions desk, he was nice but his demeanor signaled that, I did not DARE ASK FOR MY MONEY BACK! It was clear to me that we were not being received very well anymore.

Also, my guests were supposed to receive a room credit. This was an ordeal because - it appeared that they WOULD not give the credit. When I spoke to the customer service people about it - they looked at me like I had two heads. It was an awful experience. We did not receive the room credits until I returned home and spoke to the person whom I actually booked the cruise with. He immediately fixed the problem.

By this time the guest relations group was DONE WITH ME... One of the customer service agents said to me on the phone in my stateroom "you have had a lot of issues, it seems, (in a terse voice on the phone), what ELSE is your problem?"

Well THIS PROBLEM WAS that we signed up to send our luggage ahead to our airline and my husband and I were the only two people in our group who did not receive our airline boarding passes, while everyone else in our group did! Even though we paid for our luggage to fly ahead, first. The customer service agent explained that my airline would not let us pre-arrange to send our luggage ahead, with no explanation, but the rest of the group was able to do so! When we got to the airport - THEY would not allow us to check in because they said that our luggage had already been sent ahead by the cruise line! WE HAD ALL OF OUR LUGGAGE WITH US BECAUSE THE CRUISE - LINE CUSTOMER SERVICE AGENT said we had to “carry them ourselves.” It took us 2 hours to straighten it all out at the airport! Although we were at the airport at 10am because we had to carry our luggage (we hired a porter to help us), our guests showed up at noon and just went right on through the airport with no problems. I guess they taught us a lesson. SHUT UP AND TAKE THE GUMP WE DISH OUT --- OR WE WILL MESS UP YOUR TRAVEL.

This was not a good cruise for us! We have ONLY cruised on RCI and we did not expect to be treated in such a shabby manner! I was in tears because it was already really hard travelling with mobility issues. Then to be treated as irritants - made the ALMOST $5 thousand we spent on this trip - so NOT WORTH THE TROUBLE. Less

Read more Allure of the Seas cruise reviews >>