Star Pride Cruise Review by retiredharleydoc: Sleeping in Seattle - Wake Up Windstar
Sleeping in Seattle - Wake Up Windstar
We have always loved cruising with Windstar, and so we were excited to go on the new Star Pride yacht which was purchased from Seabourne. The ship was supposed to be refurbished and was advertised as "new" when we booked it.
This cruise, from Rome to Rome, included wonderful ports and the excitement of visiting Cannes during the Cannes Film Festival as well as Monaco for the Grand Prix. However, the trip was anything but wonderful:
* Although the crew was sweet and friendly, key people were completely untrained and ignorant as to their jobs. There was no concierge on board, only a "receptionist." She had the same answer to whatever question was posed to her - "mmm. That's a good question. I have no idea."
* The ship itself was very worn, and not refurbished. There was rust and peeling paint outside of our window, the pool covers looked as if 1,000 pigeons recently flew on top, the towels were hard and worn, etc.
* The cruise guides leading us from More the boat to the Grand Prix walked us there, but no one was there to get us back. It was completely disorganized.
* The tender service in Monaco was atrocious and we sat on one for an hour instead of 15 minutes.
* The captain never prepared us for very turbulent water. Had he done so (he knew in advance) we all could have taken something. Instead, most people on board, including crew, spend hours vomiting.
* There was a ship photographer who was lovely. She did a good job taking the photos, but viewing and ordering them was undoable. There was only one laptop for 212 passengers to view the photos. It was so poorly organized that you had to view everyones pictures in order to see yours. I don't know of anyone who bothered.
In all, it was not an experience I wish to repeat and we will never sail on Windstar again. Less
Read more Star Pride cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Star Pride Review >>
Cabin review: Suite
Since it is an all suite yacht, the room size was fine. Once the filthy windows are cleaned and the rust removed, once the cracked and tarnished furniture, and the thin and scratchy towels are replaced, the rooms should be fine.