Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by Jvacationgirl: Fun cruise with friends and family

Jvacationgirl
Member Since 2012

Cabin Not Rated

Compare Prices on Carnival Splendor Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Fun cruise with friends and family

Sail Date: May 2014
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

I'll start out by saying this was my first cruise with Carnival. All my other cruises have been on Norwegian. We drove to New York the night before the cruise. We got up early and headed for the terminal the next day. Parking prices are outrageous 40.00 a day! Luckily there were six of us so it wasn't too bad. Lines to embark were short and we got on the boat right away. I was very impressed. My other cruises we have waited for hours to get on the boat. So it started off great. The boat is very pink, but it's very clean and nice. We went straight to our balcony room. It had lots of storage room and was pretty roomy compared to Norwegian. Just to warn you if you get a balcony room and your stepping out for the first time there's a huge threshold. I found this out the hard way and bashed my foot so hard I broke my toe. Not fun for the first night of my cruise, but that was my fault not blaming Carnival, just want people to be aware, so they don't do the same thing.

We had a More good time at the Red carpet club, fun music and great atmosphere. Drinks aren't overly expensive and there's a lot to chose from. We went twice and had fun each time. Trivia during the day was something to fill the time with and amused us. We actually had five days at sea and I did get bored by the last two. The shows were not great except for at the comedy club. We saw four shows there and the comedians were really funny. Overall they had a decent amount of things to do on sea days. I guess I just get bored easily. We had great weather so swimming and hot tubs were also something to do during the day.

The Ports were ok. I was spoiled from going to Bermuda on my last cruise so San Juan didn't impress me. I thought the water would be prettier but it looked like Lake Erie which is right down the street where I live. Old San Juan was nice. We ate at a local place that served Mofongo! Great little spot. Lots of shopping and a good vibe all around.

St.Thomas was nice. We took a taxi to Magen's Bay. It was very pretty. We just walked up and down the beach then went back and shopped around.

Grand Turk was beautiful. Loved to just have a beach day to swim and relax. The water was amazing, crystal blue and perfect temperature. We went away from the boat and hung out by Jacks shack. So fun. The bartender there has a couple dogs who run around all day and are very friendly. I swam with Topher the digging dog. He was awesome. This day was the best day of our trip. I would go back to Gran Turk in a heartbeat.

The only real complaint I have was the food. I actually feel this way about cruising in general. You just get sick of the food. The Buffet was small and I feel didn't have a lot to chose from. Norwegians Buffet was much better. Every time we went to the Buffet for lunch they were closing it. They had breakfast till noon which was cool, but then lunch was done by 2:00. Then the only option was pizza or burgers. Not much to chose from. I really enjoy all the different places to eat on Norwegian. We really only had one option each night. The food was really plain and not flavorful. I realize you have to make everybody happy but they need to add some spices to the food. The service was wonderful and I feel for all the workers that work hard every night? It can't be easy to be away from home months at a time and live in that tiny cabin. They rarely are allowed off the boat. Poor things have to eat that food non stop. The desserts were pretty good though.

All in all a great trip. I would cruise Carnival again and would go on the Splendor. I feel that Norwegian and Carnival are pretty similar. I feel Norwegian is better organized and there website is a lot better. Also Norwegian sends you luggage tags. Carnival makes you print out your own and they just didn't seem sturdy enough, but that's just my opinion. Cruising is a fun way to spend time with family and friends and to visit many destinations. I highly recommend a cruise for anyone. Less

Read more Carnival Splendor cruise reviews >>