Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by kberz

Norwegian Epic
Member Name: kberz
Cruise Date: April 2014
Destination: Transatlantic
See More About: Norwegian Epic Cruise Reviews | Transatlantic Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals

Transatlantic on the Epic

As we were on the April 27 crossing, followed by the 3 day B2B and then on to Rome for another 3 days, we stayed aboard for 3 separate cruise 'groups'.

I was a bit disappointed as I felt that the 'casual' dress Norwegian discusses had degenerated to 'sloppy'. There seemed to be much less dressing up than on previous NCL cruises we've taken. I don't see any good reason for allowing shorts in the dining rooms even on embarkation day. And, unless I somehow missed them, no 'formal' nights were called for except for the night that photos with the captain were offered.

Particularly on the crossing, there could have been many more lectures on a variety of interesting subjects. Neither did I feel that the entertainment was quite on par with previous cruises. That is not to say that several were not great -- they were! Duo Yalba, Grafitti Classics, Vocalist Jennifer Fair and Cirque Dreams were especially good, with pianist Taylor Kundolf being extremely good! Cirque Dreams would be much nicer if there were NO dinner included and better seating were provided. Craning your neck to see around others if you are seated in a table on the floor was quite uncomfortable. I think people would still pay to see this talented group perform, especially if they could see better and not have to eat at the same time.

I do not plan to sail on the Epic again, as I have finally learned (this was my 2nd Epic cruise) that I don't really care for many of their 'spaces'. I really like a real library, a game room and a room or rooms where more people can sit comfortably (such as what they have on the Pearl).

The food was outstanding but perhaps my appetite is getting smaller, as I felt portions were rather large (of meats). However, MANY people would have liked to see many more vegetables served everywhere. Other than grilled zucchini, I never saw squash. Corn was never served except for small cobs; eggplant was scarce, etc., etc.

Our balcony stateroom was great, as was our attendant. We had more than enough room for all we brought (too much!). Elevators were no problem, jogging track was no problem; they didn't push photos, internet was almost non-existent! iConcierge did not work to talk to one another while on board. We did manage to use it for a few phone calls back home. I'll not pay for it again. It should be free and billed as 'Beta' version!

All in all, we thoroughly enjoyed our 17 days aboard ship and all the great people we met. Following our cruise we spent a week in Italy, then a week in New York, visiting family. Having been home for 3 days now, I thought it was finally time to write about our experience.

Publication Date: 06/04/14