Carnival Spirit Cruise Review by sonnicav: Concentrated Relaxation

Concentrated Relaxation

Sail Date: April 2014
Destination: South Pacific
Embarkation: Sydney (Australia)

My husband and I travelled on the Carnival Spirit during a 10 day south pacific cruise departing Sydney from 20 - 30 April 2014. We booked an Ocean View Balcony Suite and requested room 6176 due to the great reviews we read about the location of this suite. The Suite is located in the middle of the ship which meant that minimal up and down movement would be experienced. If you are going on this cruise, be sure to pack a first aid kit as the medical centre and medical staff are so useless you’ll be kicking yourself for asking for help in the first place.

We used the online checkin option and could pre-select a check in time. On arrival at the terminal, we dropped our bags off and went to stand in the checkin line. As we had booked an ocean view suite, we could stand in the VIP checkin line (which had no people queuing at the time), however, we had no idea that we could use this line until my husband asked one of the staff members. Once in the VIP queue, we skipped a huge More line of people in the normal queue and we were on board the ship within 5 -10 minutes (only because the customs line had no VIP line). We skipped a 45minute to 1 hour queue, which was great.

When checking in we got issued with an ID card which you had to keep on you at all times, on and off the ship. As the ship is ‘cashless’ - all charges are charged via your ID card (that is then linked back to a credit or debit card of your choice). The only way to really keep yourself from losing this card was to buy a lanyard for $6.95 onboard. Had I known that I was going to need this, I would have packed one of the 20 useless lanyards lying in my drawer at home. If you are doing this cruise, bring a lanyard.

The balcony gave us some privacy to enjoy the ocean view. We had three chairs on the balcony but no fully reclinable sun deck chairs, which we were expecting after reading one of the reviews on ocean view suites before booking. When I called guest services to ask about it, the guy had no clue and said he would find out and call me back… he never did.

Our room had a mini bar fridge and was better priced than normal hotels. We also had a safe which you could lock with your ID card.

Dining options are:

Deli - makes fresh sandwiches and wraps (located on deck 9)

Fat Jimmy’s BBQ - outdoor BBQ with great food (located on deck 10)

La Playa Grill - Buffet (located on deck 9)

Pizza Pirate - open 24 hours (located on deck 9)

Empire - There are 3 options here: a) anytime dining, b) 5:30pm seating and c) 7:45pm seating. When booking the cruise we were asked which options we wanted and I specifically asked for anytime dining. We were wait listed for it but then found out we received the 7:45pm time. (located on deck 2 & 3)

Nouveau Restaurant - not included in

On the first day we did not know that we had been assigned a set time to dine at the Empire. We thought we could only eat from the La Playa Grill (Buffet) until a staff member accidentally pointed it out to us on our ID cards the next day. There are so many things that they don’t tell you, especially for first time cruisers. Luckily we found out that we had a table reserved at 7:45pm for dinner at the Empire each night. The three course meal each night there was excellent. They pushed a bunch of 2 seaters together and we had to dine with strangers every night. When requesting a 2 seater, we were told to check every night before dining for availability and were lucky enough to get our own 2 seater table all nights except for one.

The dining options are excellent, there was never a shortage of food. They cater for everyone and healthy options are also available.

Gym facility is great and is equipped with treadmills, bikes and walking machines (cross trainers). It also has a limited amount of resistance / weight training machines and free weights. On days at sea, when the sea is rough, it can get tricky to exercise when doing cardio as the ship is moving a lot, especially as it is located in the front of the ship where movement is felt the most.

On our visit to Lifou, we got cut by coral and stung by stingers while snorkelling. When going back to the ship to seek assistance from the medical centre, the nurse (sitting on her own with nothing to do in an empty medical centre) told us to go wash the cuts off with soap and water. We then insisted on getting antibacterial or antiseptic cream as we were bleeding and concerned about potential infections from coral. As a qualified diver and semi-experienced snorkeler having visited these waters before, I was told by other locals at Island resorts that if a cut from coral in these warm waters occur, that one should always apply antiseptic cream in order to avoid any infection. When conveying this to the nurse she simply refused to help and said that they don’t give that kind of thing out unless they preparing for surgery. Fuming and highly disgusted at the way she treated us, I complained to Guest Services who then gave me Antibacterial cream without a fuss.

There are some staff on the Carnival Spirit who seem to love what they do and make your stay so memorable and fun that all you want to do is come back, but there are a few miserable staff members in the place where you need a friendly face the most, the medical centre.

Our favourite places on the ship were the adults only serenity area as well as the green thunder slide.

We had a great time on this cruise. The weather was great and the places visited were amazing and so special. I would most certainly recommend this cruise.

Suggestions to Carnival:

1. Become more tech savvy and allow booking excursions via a mobile app - after trying to book excursions via the tv and entering all options and information, we got told it was fully booked, then trying to book over the phone the guest services guy was not able to check availability and I had to read every name of every excursion to him to check availability.

2. Photos could be digital instead of printed - charging over $30 for a physical photo that can bend and tear is a joke.

3. Once a customer has booked a cruise, send them the video of the ‘Welcome onboard talk with Eli’ that was held not he first day. This will prepare people - especially first time cruisers to be more prepared, more informed and know what to expect. Even better, they don't have to spend an hour onboard listening to this talk. Less

Read more Carnival Spirit cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Spirit Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Spirit Suite Empress 6176

We booked an Ocean View Balcony Suite and requested room 6176 due to the great reviews we read about the location of this suite. The Suite is located in the middle of the ship which meant that minimal up and down movement would be experienced. The room was smaller than I expected however, I’ve never been on a ship before. The beds were curved on the left and right side (I’m guessing so that you don’t fall off) and were extremely comfortable. The room was quiet (except for the occasional kid running up and down the passage). We could not hear our neighbours on either side. The room was very clean and having a balcony with an ocean view was absolutely fantastic. We could feel the ship moving from side to side while at sea but the moving motion was nothing compared to the feeling in the front and back of the ship (side to side and up and down).The room was strangely decorated, just like the rest of the ship but it grows on you after a while. There were 2 plug points in the room and the room had a hair dryer. The balcony gave us some privacy to enjoy the ocean view. We had three chairs on the balcony but no fully reclinable sun deck chairs, which we were expecting after reading one of the reviews on ocean view suites before booking. Our room steward was Agustina who made our trip unforgettable with his infections smile. Not only did he service our room twice a day, he also told us on day one what times he would be coming by at night, in order not to disturb us. So we knew what to expect. We could not have asked for a better room steward.