MSC Opera Cruise Review by 5563hill: Diabolical

Diabolical

Sail Date: May 2014
Destination: Baltic & Northern Europe
Embarkation: Southampton

Hi, we are not new to cruising and have previously used p&o , Cunard , royal Caribbean and ncl and I can honestly say I have never expected so little and received even LESS!!!. We decided on a last minute break to Norway from southampton . Myself , my husband and our 11 year old son. The excursion seemed to be just what we wanted and they also offered a children's club, which was ideal for us adult to get some spa treatments and relax.

And so we begin!

The terminal was rather make shift, a wedding marque for want of a better description that yes did offer free soft drinks but nothing stronger to purchase . We boarded the ship and it was clean and quite contempary and made our way to our cabin after lunch. It was fine, nothing to write home about but quite what we had expected, so far so good. We then headed to reception to upgrade our drinks package to premium. This we were told covered all drinks, ice creams and the mini bar in our room. Although we were told More this was an English speaking ship we found ourselves repeating ourselves over and over to make the reception staff understand what we wanted and were eventually pointed in the direction of a bar as they could not upgrade us at reception! We had to have new cards issued for which we had to go back to erection and waited for about 20 minutes for this to be done, getting bored now! We eventually left with our new cards and went to get a drink only to be told we had the wrong code on our card for the premium drinks package, so off we went back to reception to yes you guessed it , get new cards issued again. Later that afternoon there was a presentation about the forthcoming excursions . I spoke to a member of staff about these and was told that they may be delayed and we were departing an hour late but there would be an announcement regarding the time. This never happened and we missed it.brilliant . Th first night the food was ok but noting special. The buffet had very little choice and was not of a good standard . As the week went on the food got worse in the main Resturant. We never all got out meals at the same time and would come out barely warm, less than child size portions and very poor quality. One my son was offer just a plate of chips as there was nothing on the menu he liked even though it stated that roast beef or chicken and chips were always available. When I complained th the head waiter he said he had asked the kitchen and he couldn't have either. Eventually got chicken and chips after complain further and taking the complaint higher, but really should I have to!.

The following day we went to book our excursion only to be. Told they were cancelled as there weren't enough English on board (200). If we chose to get off we would have to do our own thing. The following day we were told all English trips were cancelled. Great. That day we were also told there was no kids club that week either, it was just getting better and better. So we decided to book some spa treatments. We ended up booking 6 hours in total, 2 hrs each. On our first visit I was shown into the room and told to undress and get on the bed. This was while we were in Dock and the room had floor to ceiling windows and was overlooking the docks and I was expected to to do this in full view of the docks. I found the blinds and closed them!!!!!. What made it even worse was the fact that towards the end of the massage I was having my scalp massaged and the young girl kept stopping.i opened my eyes and looked up and she was staring out of the window watching the ship leave dock. I couldn't believe it.

All week the staff were trying to fob us off with the cheap drinks instead of the premium ones we had paid for and the waiter service was non existent and wer constantly qued for 20 minutes to get our own drinks.

These are just a few of our highlight, there were many more. So if you Are looking for a good avoid this line like the plague, I know we will be. I would not recommend to my worst enemy!!!!!!!!!!!! BE WARNED oh forgot to mention all the shows were in finish and smoking was allowed in the theatre. Yuk. But Norway was beautifull Less

Read more MSC Opera cruise reviews >>