Norwegian Sky Cruise Review by p032158

Cruise Date: May 2014
Destination: Bahamas
Dining 5+

Ship Facts: Norwegian Sky Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Norwegian Sky Deck Plans
Wonderful cruise for first-timers!

My husband and I had never been on a cruise before so we decided to celebrate our wedding anniversary with a 4-night cruise to the Bahamas. We had a great time!

Highlights: The food! The two main dining rooms, Crossings and Palace, were both very very good. The service was excellent, there was a good variety in the menu choices and, most importantly, the food was delicious! We ate at the buffet for breakfast and really enjoyed it. However, I did not care for the buffet at lunch or dinner. I finally tried the Italian specialty restaurant, Il Adagio, for lunch (there is no extra charge for this restaurant at lunchtime) and really enjoyed my made-to-order pasta.

Other highlights included the entertainment and activities. We are not normally night-owls but every night we found ourselves enjoying the entertainment so much that we never went to bed before midnight! We really enjoyed the Newlywed Game Show as well as the Perfect Couple Game Show. We also enjoyed Duo Caribe and I even got my husband to do a little salsa dancing! We liked Andrew Kennedy, the comedian, but felt that his material could sometimes run thin.

Finally, our stateroom was perfect! We had an ocean view cabin on the 7th deck. It was not large but it was sufficient and we had room for all of our luggage and toiletries. The bed was extremely comfortable and both I and my 6'3" husband slept like babies every night.

Room for Improvement: Would be nice if they had a swim-up bar at the pool.... Also, we would probably enjoy a cruise that targets passengers in our age range (40-65) as some of the nightly entertainment included music that wasn't particularly to our liking. Finally, the only negative of our trip came when we went ashore to Nassau and decided to take a horse & buggy ride. They charged us $40 and then gave us a ride that lasted maybe 15 minutes! Throughout the ride, the driver pointed out obvious things ("here is the chiropracter's office") and then begged us for tips, telling us he didn't get paid except for the tips! It really left a sour taste in our mouth. Perhaps a warning from the cruise line would have helped us avoid this situation?

All in all, we were very pleased with our experience and definitely would do it again!

Publication Date: 06/03/14