Norwegian Sun Cruise Review by pattiek: Disappointing Cruise

Disappointing Cruise

Sail Date: May 2014
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Vancouver

I booked 4 cabins - 3 cabins had never cruised before so all my comments are for me and my husband as we have cruised 5 other times on 2 other lines.

Our trip started with us walking into our room and finding the linens had not been changed from the last people just straightened. The bathroon had hair all over it, I found beads on the floor and all the windows and mirrors had fingerprints. We called for housekeeping and a supervisor came up and had it cleaned up.

We looked at their All you can drink program - $49.00 per day and you have to buy your own cup . I brought 5 seniors and 2 people - in different cabins wanted to soda program and they would not sell to them because everyone in the cabin had to buy it as well - except we spoke to a couple from Alabama and he bought the card but she did not have to, so a little inconsistant. I only have 2 other lines to compare to, but the customer service on the Sun was horrible. We dealt with so many people who would not More smile or even say hello when we ordered a drink. The friendliest was our house keeper Maxy - he was pleasent - did not change the sheets everyday, but pleasent. The food on the whole ship was ok - not the caliber in the evening dining room as I am used to on other lines but good. I do understand that this is a cruise to Alaska and the clientelle is usually older so they may not be as adventerous with the dining - so I will say it wa good. Entertainment was very good.

The ship is very dated - it has not been updated in a while - the hair blowers in the cabins are boxes on the wall behind you with a 1 1/2 inch hose that blows a gentle breeze - as long as you do not strangle yourself or get a hand cramp from holding it. The walls are dented and scraped up along with the furniture. There is no mass buffet towards the end - they had a chololate dessert night at evening supper and in the buffet area.

Over all the cruise itinery was awesome but the Sun was disappointing. I am a home based travel agent and would not book clients on the Sun until the modernize their ship and improve customer service. Less

Read more Norwegian Sun cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Sun Review >>

We docked very close to shore - good shopping EXCEPT Diamonds International - they charge $5.00 for their "Free" charm - Norweigen Shopping Consultants did nothing about this.

Read 841 Juneau Reviews

Duck Tour

(5)

Watch the salmon prices! one store was offering a great deal at $40, but a bunch of the nick nack stores, same product 29.99

Liarsville

Best tour Best of Whate Passs/ Skagway - bus ride to Fraser BC then train ride back to Skagway - bus to Liarsville - Oakey Bob and his crew are THE BEST - they made everyone feel so welcome - the salmon bake was fantastic and so much food! Then they do a skit is full costume before showing you how to pan for gold - everyone get 2-4 pieces of gold - it was so much fun - we had one person in an electric scooter and one walker - the tour is fantastic for those with limited mobility.

White Pass Scenic Railway

Must do Liarsville Tour - by itself or part of another tour!