MSC Opera Cruise Review by BTJ: MSC.....not for me!

BTJ
Member Since 2014

Cabin Not Rated

Compare Prices on MSC Opera Europe - British Isles & Western Cruises

MSC.....not for me!

Sail Date: May 2014
Destination: Europe - British Isles & Western
Embarkation: Southampton

Just returned from a mini cruise from Southampton to St Peter Port in Guernsey. We have been on many cruises, of various lengths, with lots of different companies. We enjoy going on mini cruises and enjoy experiencing the variety of cruise ships and companies. We have never been on one that we can say we wish we hadn't bothered.....until now!

Embarkation was a nightmare. After being told to check in at 11am we were still waiting to board at 1.45pm.

The cabin appeared 'ok' until I went into the bathroom and could see hairs and grime on the walls around the sink and in the shower. There were horrible fingermarks on the door and the smell from the drains was not nice. The cabin steward was nowhere to be found and the queues at the reception were so long I couldn't be bothered to report it. I cleaned the hairs away with a towel. There was also no hand wash in the dispenser on the sink.

The 2 pillows (one each) were stained with dirty marks on the pillowcases. More One was hard and solid and the other was flat and lumpy.

We had chosen not to opt for the all inclusive drinks package as we preferred to have a bit more choice. Getting someone to serve you a drink was virtually impossible! It took over 45 minutes to get one. I ordered a bottle of wine and was given it unopened and with no glasses! I then had to wait another 10 minutes to have it opened (it had a cork in it) and get some glasses! The drinks prices were steep compared to some cruise lines. 4 euro 90 cents plus 15% service charge for a 40cl glass of draught larger. 18 to 24 euro plus service charge for a bottle of 'house' wine. Guests on the all inclusive were not happy with the apparent 'unavailability' of getting a drink and the comments and atmosphere around the ship was not very nice.We heard a number of guests getting quite irate!

The emergency drill was a joke. We were grateful we were familiar with these drills from past cruises.

The 'ship' itself was very nice in the public areas but we felt it was let down by what appeared to be company policies and practices, and some of the staff. We couldn't help but notice that most staff went around with a very glum look on their faces.

The food was 'middle of the road'. We have had better. The buffet food ,although nice looking, was not very hot. The food in the restaurant was about the same and the service was very slow. We went for dinner at 8.30 pm and were still being served our dessert at 10.45pm !I wouldn't say were were slow eaters either!

We were talking about going on another MSC cruise in the future but after this 'snap shot' we will be keeping our distance.

It feels like a total waste of money for what we had hoped would be a nice mini cruise for our wedding anniversary. Less

Read more MSC Opera cruise reviews >>