Serenade of the Seas Cruise Review by sonvoltken6

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Serenade of the Seas Cruise Review by sonvoltken6
Serenade of the Seas
Serenade of the Seas
Member Name: sonvoltken6
Cruise Date: May 2014
Embarkation: Barcelona
Destination: Western Mediterranean
See More About: Serenade of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Western Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals
Value-for-Money 5+

Ship Facts: Serenade of the Seas Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Serenade of the Seas Deck Plans
Best... Vacation... EVER!

We are frequent cruisers on Royal Caribbean, and several years ago we did a 7 night Med Cruise with my father. After getting a taste of Italy and Spain (not so much France!) I have been wanting to go back. We booked this cruise shortly after it was released, and managed to get a great deal on an Aft Balcony. We used FF miles for the airfare and cashed in RCCI points for OBC, so we were already money ahead! We flew in overnight the day before and stayed at Rivoli Ramblas. First great news - our room was ready at 10 am when we arrived!

We took a cab down to the port and arrived around 11:30. Check in was quite smooth at the pier, there were no lines even for the non-C/A lines. We headed for the Windjammer and after eating went to scope out our room. The room was wonderful - plenty of room for 2 people and 11 days worth of clothes. The balcony was quite deep.

So much to say about 11 nights on the ship, so here are the highlights and things we would change:

Highlights:

We had excellent service all around. Our stateroom attendant was like a ninja - he was in and out without us hardly noticing. Our dining room staff were excellent and they had full stations every night. We ate in Chops 3 nights and were treated great there. Rami in the Concierge Lounge was excellent as well.

The food was quite good. I know there is a lot on the boards about the food on RCCI, but I can't think of a time when we didn't get good food. OK, my wife noted that the Red Velvet Cake in Chops has changed and it wasn't good. But all in all we were satisfied.

The guest entertainers were good. We had three musical acts (Bee Gees, Laura Broad and Emperors of Soul) who were spot on. The Comic Magician was funny. The first night was Los Pampos Gauchos, who we had seen before but were good. Other than Los PG, they were all British. I guess the travel costs are prohibitive for American entertainers. But I truly enjoyed them.

The itinerary - more to follow below but this was a great itinerary.

Lowlights:

Not many for sure. The production shows are Vibe-ology and Stage to Screen. I mean, are these the same shows that are on every one of the old ships? I know I have seen S2S at least 6 times. So we skipped those two shows.

We were a bit disappointed by the thin activities during the 2 sea days. Now don't get me wrong, after 4 intense port days with 8+ hour excursions, I don't want to run all day. But it didn't seem like there was much going on.

We had a bit if a mix up on our Palma Tour. We selected the DIY tourist bus through RCCI. The sea day we ran into a couple we had met along the way, who informed us that this tour was cancelled. But we weren't notified. The excursions desk had no reasoning for not letting us know but sure enough it was cancelled.

Debarkation was the easiest BY FAR of any of the 20+ sailings we have been on. We left our stateroom at 7:15 to disembark, and we were at our hotel by 8:00 am. No lines anywhere, luggage was right there, and no going through customs. BTW, we stayed at HCC Montblanc post cruise for two nights. It was awesome as well - no our room wasn't ready at 8 am but they took our luggage and we explored the city.

All in all this is the best vacation we have done - period.

Publication Date: 06/03/14
Read the Western Mediterranean ports review by sonvoltken6
More Serenade of the Seas Cruise Reviews

Read the previous Serenade of the Seas review Read the next Serenade of the Seas review

More Royal Caribbean Reviews