Independence of the Seas Cruise Review by HOAD54

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Independence of the Seas Cruise Review by HOAD54
Independence of the Seas
Independence of the Seas
Member Name: HOAD54
Cruise Date: May 2014
Embarkation: Southampton
Destination: Baltic & Northern Europe
See More About: Independence of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Baltic & Northern Europe Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals

Dissappointing

Arrived at Southampton, parked and boarded the ship in very quick time. We have travelled on this ship before and loved it the first time around. The ship is still very impressive, with nice pool area, and public areas, nice bars and theatre, and ice rinc all as I remember them.

However, firstly I would like to make reference to our stateroom, 8121 interior, a bit tired and shabby, pillows lumpy, kettle was not working properly, remote for TV was not working at all, and the hair dryer, which is a must for most travellers, kept overheating and cutting out. First two items changed without fuss, but checking these things out before letting us enter cabin would have been better. No robes or lapel pin in recognition of crown and anchor membership, were in room, had to ask for the robes, did not bother with the pin.

Now we move on to the removal of the crown and anchor booklets, which have been replaced with some type of sea pass recognition, where by you should be offered the discounts automatically when you order something (ie two for one speciality coffes etc or 2 for 1 beers) WE WERE NOT OFFERED ONCE. We had to ask for everything. I did not feel comfortable with this at all. (Penny pinching comes to mind.)

The first two nights we ate in the main dining room, where food was warm to cold by the time we got it, and I could have grown a beard whilst waiting for destert. I did not eat in there again.

I have always championed RCCL, and we are already booked for a cruise in the caribbean in November, but I ambeginning to regret booking this, as I wish I had tried another cruise company.

I do hope the experience in November will be better than this one.

Lastly, I discovered today, that Alusand Norway, which was our last port of call, held the ship back due to RCCL not paying port fees for previous visits. I do not know the facts, but read this online. Shocked

Publication Date: 06/03/14