“Paradise it was not”

Member Since 2014
No Forum Posts
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating

It was a major disappointment when compared to our last cruise with Royal Caribbean. The food was a big part of that disappointment. It was mediocre at best. I also don't understand why they shut the buffets down around 6pm when people are actually more likely to eat. I know that's when the dining rooms are getting started, but I don't think I'm the only one that doesn't want a fine dining experience every time I sit down to eat. Sometimes I want to grab something on the buffet, scarf it down, and head back out to have fun.

Speaking of fun... there isn't much to be had on board unless you like drinking and partying around a pool. If that's the case you'll probably love this ship. We have 2 small kids and they definitely didn't need to be around the idiots at the main pool. Case in point: In one hot tub on the main pool deck there were about 20 people gyrating inside it while one guy shook up a champagne bottle and sprayed it all over everyone around them. Then he proceeded to throw it up into the air and it came crashing down to shatter on the side of the tub spraying all those inside and near with broken glass. Classy. The other pool on the rear of the ship was shallower (I guess for kids, although the other pool had the large water slide attached) and smelled like a sewer. That was lovely.

My oldest son (4) enjoyed the mini-golf and Camp Carnival. He asked to return to Camp Carnival several times on the trip. They also gave us a cell phone to use on the boat so they could contact us if there were any problems. We also used the phone to keep in contact with others in our party that were staying in other rooms. They should really think about renting those for other people on the ship because it was very handy to keep in contact while we were out of the room and kept missing each other.

They had very few activities on the ship during the entire trip though. We passed a few trivia games going on during the trip and the guy that was hosting it sounded like he hated his life and everyone on the ship. I bet that was LOADS of fun. We did see another hostess during one game that actually did a great job.

Cozumel was... just like any other port I've sailed to. Over-priced garbage hawked by over-eager sales people. The water and beaches were beautiful though. I've never seen water that blue before.

Our cabin steward was great. He kept everything clean and always had a smile and personal greeting on his lips whenever we saw him. Others in our party didn't have as great of a steward as ours.

Honestly, I'll probably try to avoid Carnival in the future unless they make some major changes.

Carnival Paradise Cruises to the Western Caribbean
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review:

R172
Our cabin was located very low in the ship and far away from any food or activities. We were constantly waiting on elevators as we were 6 decks away from most of the entertainment.

Chankanaab National Park Tour

The water and beaches were beautiful. Snorkeling was fun and they had lots of fish to be seen close to the beaches. The food was about as sad and the food on the ship and very over-priced.

Published 06/03/14
No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Carnival Paradise Review
Carnival Paradise Cruises to the Western Caribbean
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?