Disney Wonder Cruise Review by bobski24: Disney Wonder - Panama Canal full transit PLUS

bobski24
Member Since 2011

Cabin Not Rated

Compare Prices on Disney Wonder Panama Canal & Central America Cruises

Disney Wonder - Panama Canal full transit PLUS

Sail Date: May 2014
Destination: Panama Canal & Central America

We wanted to see the Panama Canal & this Disney repositioning cruise was a perfect fit. Because this was a 15 day cruise, late in the school year there were only about 300 kids on the cruise. I don't believe all the cabins were filled either. So, there was little or no waiting for everything (except deck chairs around the Quiet Cove pool). The Disney Wonder is starting to get old, but is still a very nice ship. The embarkation process was a little long but once we got onboard all was well. Our balcony stateroom (#6610) had plenty of room for the two of us and was very close to the elevators and stairways. Very close to the laundry facility, which we made use of too.

I like the idea of the rotating dining room schedules. We were lucky to be with a great group of new friends at our table. I thought the dinner food selections were nothing special. The food was good, but I expected it to be better. I really enjoyed the self serve ice cream station. And the 'free' coffee, pop More and water station on deck 9 is a super touch. Also, Disney allows you to bring alcohol onboard at embarkation and at each cruise port. So, there's no need to try and hide bottles in your luggage. At embarkation it simply must be in your carry on luggage. No questions asked.

Although the food was only average, I thought the service in our dining room was the best ever. Our server staff of Rolly, Andrew (and even the head waiter, Roy) were just super. Also, our stateroom attendant, Shiv, was also the best ever.

The only problem we had with our stateroom was some unusual snapping and scratching sounds coming from the ceiling. The maintenance staff was unable to get it fixed. So, we just dealt with it. Besides there were so many other positives. The split bathrooms is a great idea.

We stopped in Key West, Cozumel, Cartagena, Puerto Vallarta & Cabo San Lucas with the cruise ending in San Diego. Our excursions were a trolley tour in Key West; shopping in Cozumel; a bus & horse carriage tour in Cartagena; a 5 hour visit to the Paradise Beach Resort; and casual site seeing & shopping in Cabo. PV was our favorite stop. The beach area was absolutely beautiful. However, the full transit of the Panama Canal is something I'll never forget. The lake cruise between the locks is very relaxing and quite beautiful.

The Wonder has a very nice fitness center which I made use of during our sailing days. The pool in the Quiet Cove was very nice and quiet (no kids allowed). However, trying to get one of the comfy deck chairs near the pool is almost impossible. Folks 'reserve' them early in the day by leaving towels and personal items on them and they are left unused for hours at a time. Cruisers continue this discourteous practice despite the signs telling them not to do so. I guess there are rude people everywhere. Less

Read more Disney Wonder cruise reviews >>