Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by eltorro7110: Great Vacation! Can't wait to sail again.

eltorro7110
Member Since 2014

Compare Prices on Oasis of the Seas Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Great Vacation! Can't wait to sail again.

Sail Date: May 2014

I can honestly say I don't get it when I read some of the bad reviews about this ship. My wife, sister-in-law, mother-in-law and I just finished a 7 day Easter Caribbean cruise and loved every single minute of it. I am going to break my review up into parts and try to be as detailed as possible.

Embarkation: Last year my wife and I sailed on the Allure of the Seas. So we knew what we were getting into with embarkation. Anyone in the Crown and Anchor gets faster check in. Of course the big fancy suites and lofts get the best check in. My wife and I were on deck 10 room 629 and we didn't even wait 30 seconds in line before we were in front of an agent and getting our sea passes. We entered the terminal at 12:05 pm and all said and down we were on the boat at 12:40 pm. It is very busy and the terminal is built for the Allure and the Oasis. Royal Caribbean has it down pat.

Stateroom: My wife and I stayed on deck 10 room 629. This room has a Central Park view almost right More above the rising tide bar. You can actually see in the bar and down into the Royal Promenade from the balcony. We book this room last year when we were on the Allure. We got this room because it is a double balcony. You have two different sets of chairs to use. A set to sit and eat if you life and a set to lounge in. We booked the room on the advice of the agent working for Royal Caribbean on the Allure (BTW we worked with the same guy on the Oasis this time to book another cruise next year, it was awesome to see him and work with him again). It is a normal stateroom. Everything you would expect. My wife and I aren't sure we would book it again because we are so rarely in the room that it just really isn't important to use for the extra $$. Our room attendant was fine. Only really had to encounter here a few times on the trip. My mother-in-law and sister-in-law had a room at the front of the ship. It had a huge slanted window( yes I hit my head on it). They would watch the ship arrive in port and be guided in at each stop. My mother-in-law loved this.

Food: When we got on board we already had a lunch reservation booked at Giovanni's Table. DO IT!!! Lunch was great. We sat outside in nice weather and we all pretty much at the full meal family style. The tiramisu was great. We then made another reservation for dinner on the first formal night (Cosmo gave use 20% off without us even asking when we made the reservation, walk in and haggle a little bit, don't just call the reservation number) The dinner was great. We ordered a we appetizers to share. We had the Mozzarella in Carrozza which is warm mozzarella wrapped in prosciutto and baked. It was my favorite thing we ate. We also had the seas scallops which were amazing. We ordered two pastas (Crespelle Di Ricotta E Spinaci which is the best and the Ravioli di Polap which was Maryland crab Ravioli. It was good but not great. For our main course we shared Ossobuco and another Veal offering. The Ossobuco was great, but by that point I couldn't eat anymore, even though the food was shared among four people. So come ready to eat. We ate here again on the final night but only we ordered two Spinaci and changed out a veal for the sole, which I enjoyed more.

The main dining room was great as well. Didn't have one bad meal. We do My Time Dining but we make reservations to eat at a certain time based off of time in port and show times. Our head waiter and her assistant were both very nice. Always keep the drinks full and more bread then we could handle. Of course on the last formal night it is lobster in the main dining room and prime rib. So we all got a version of surf turf without the premium price. It was good. I felt guilty on the last night because we ate at Giovanni's and not in the main dining room.We didn't get to say a proper goodbye. But we did leave our head waiter and extra gratuity and I left a thank you note for her.

Sorrento's and Cafe Promenade are normally always busy but never a long wait 2-3 minutes tops. I had a weakness for the brownies in Cafe Promenade. We avoid the Windjammer at all cost. It can be a mad house.

We did have a final lunch at Izumi's. Let me tell you, eating sushi at almost the highest point of the ship with not a cloud in the sky, heaven. The sushi is great as well. The surf and turf sushi and the crispy shrimp are my favs. It is al a carte pricing so it can be a little $$$$ if you like sushi. 100 bucks for 4 of us.

I also want to tell you about the rising tides bar. We love it. We don't drink alot just one or two and move one. But on this cruise the server Carmo and the bartender Steve, top notch. I would always order a drink that had cherries in it and some sort of bourbon, usually crown royal. My wife would then dig the cherries out of the ice to eat them. Well Steve and Carmo saw this and had a little fun with my wife about it and would always make sure she got extra cherries. Carmo even took a selfie with my phone when he was supposed to be taking a group picture. We made sure to give them both an extra cash tip on the last night. They both provided top notch service. We even made two passes at the rising tide on the last night just to make sure we got to say good bye to Carmo. He was off of the bar on our first stop.

Park Cafe is great for breakfast. They have a great egg mcmuffin and bagels. Good for lunch as well. They also have packets of peanut butter, and I love peanut butter.

One afternoon we did have some rain and we went and hung out in the Viking Crown Lounge. It is very nice.

Drink package: We all bought the soda package. They have the soda machines on board by coke that you can choice from 100's of drinks. We like that because it offers more then just soda. Only problem with this, just not enough of them. Two on the Royal Promenade, one in the kids arcade, two in the Windjammer. Just not enough for that many guest. You can get soda at any bar, but if you don't want soda you have to make a trip out of the way. I wish they would add about 3 or 4 more. They have the room for it.

Ports: Nassau, my wife have been a few times and she worked for a travel company right after college and lived in Nassau for a short time. We don't even get off the boat anymore. It was our first stop and it gives us a chance to enjoy the ship with less people on it. We have done Atlantis in the past and it is a SUPER waste of money.

St. Thomas: The Oasis was docked by itself, we did see two other Carnival ships in another port. We took a cab downtown to the shopping. We walked around and bought our Christmas tree ornament and then we made our way to the beach. Everyone goes to Magens bay. A cabbie told us about a place called Secret Harbor. It is a beach at a resort. We rented chairs and an umbrella from the dive shop. The water was great. Not a cloud in the sky. The beach wasn't busy at all. It isn't very large but we did see several blue royal caribbean towels on the beach. We had lunch and a few drinks at the beach bar and headed back to the ship.

St. Maarten: We have always heard people say they hate St. Maarten, don't count use among that crowd. We LOVED IT. We just did the water taxi to the beach right outside the cruise port. You can take a 20 minute walk if you like. We rented some chair and an umbrella and just really enjoyed it. We had chairs that had the water running right up to them. It was very nice. They are building more to the cruise port right now. We had a great lunch at the Blue Bitch Bar (yes that is the real name) I had one of my favorite foods. Conch Fritters. I cannot go to the islands and not have them. I had one drink and holy smokes was it strong. I was buzzed from it. I also like to buy rum from all of the island. Whatever the locals make. I like to collect them. On St. Maarten has Old Man Guvaeberry, it is rather tasty. So we bought two bottles and went back to the ship.

We didn't buy any excursion from Royal Caribbean. We wanted to do the BOSS underwater ride in St. Thomas but is was booked up well before the cruise. If you just want to go to a beach you can do it on your own for much cheaper then booking it via Royal Caribbean. Taxi's are plentiful at every stop.

Entertainment: Top notch as always. We missed Hairspray. We usually hate to miss shows but we were all so tired we couldn't stay awake. Come Fly with Me was outstanding. We love it because of the mix of Theater cast and aqua show cast. Oasis of Dreams, the aqua show was good. We had to watch it at an off time because the night we were supposed to watch it we had some rough seas. Water was draining from the pool with the motion of the ocean so they called it off for the safety of the cast. So we watched it while still in port at St. Thomas. My wife and I agreed the aqua show on Allure was better, but this show was still good.

The casino is typical of any casino. It is nice that it has a smoking and non-smoking side. We are all non-smokers.

Ship: Huge, massive, enormous, pick any adjective. The ship never felt overly crowded. Only a few times did you have to wait an extended time for the elevators. But we did take the stairs a lot if we were moving up or down just one or two floors. My wife and I would use the stairs for many floors as extra exercise. Central park is nice, the Boardwalk is good. We didn't spend much time there but is nice. This year I skipped the flow rider and didn't do the rock climbing wall again. The sells on the Royal Promenade and can get crazy. So we avoid those as well.

Spa/Fitness Center: We love using the Thermal Spa on the Oasis class ships. They have nice heated chairs and two steam rooms and one sauna. It is an added cost but one we have no problem with. My wife and I did the Razzoul twice. You apply mud and sit in a steam room. Water turns on at the end to wash off the mud in the steam room. Then you can get out and have a "proper" shower as the spa lady said. The fitness center stays busy. Has everything you need. Free weights, machines (the weight machines are better then you find at most local gyms), classes. We also like using the jogging track. Just over two laps is a mile. Plus it has great views.

Debarkation: We picked the time between 10:00 and 10:30 to get off the boat. Our number was 43, our number was called at 9:15ish. You have to walk through a line, go down an escalator and then you are funneled into an area that is split up by number to gather you bags. There really is no other way for Royal Caribbean to improve upon this. It went much better this year on the Oasis trip then it did last year on the Allure trip.

Only think I can complain about is one staff member that works for the Focus photo studio. We bought the 349.99 picture package that gave us all the photos. We took all of our pictures using one sea pass we could do just that. It is 299.99 for only 20 on a disk or 349.99 for close to 200 pictures. No brainier. Well you can also look at the picture on a kiosk using your sea pass. I noticed that we had a few on the wall that weren't on the sea pass. So my wife asked someone ( Gana I believe) to have the 5 or 6 photos added to the CD. Well this worker had a fit about it. Saying you won't be able to pick up the CD until the next day (debarkation). That was fine by us because of the late time we picked to get off the ship. We paid 349.99 we want all the pictures. So we go the next morning and no CD. We talk to another worker, much nicer. New CD made in 20 minutes with all the pictures.

Overall: Great trip. We love cruising. We booked a trip for next year for the Independence of the Seas. We will stop in San Juan, St. Maarten and St. Kitts. We love St. Kitts. Stayed at a resort and can't wait to go back on a cruise. Hopefully you find the review helpful if you are thinking about booking the Oasis. I would recommend it to anyone. Less

Read more Oasis of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Oasis of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Oasis of the Seas 629

Stateroom: My wife and I stayed on deck 10 room 629. This room has a Central Park view almost right above the rising tide bar. You can actually see in the bar and down into the Royal Promenade from the balcony. We book this room last year when we were on the Allure. We got this room because it is a double balcony. You have two different sets of chairs to use. A set to sit and eat if you life and a set to lounge in. We booked the room on the advice of the agent working for Royal Caribbean on the Allure (BTW we worked with the same guy on the Oasis this time to book another cruise next year, it was awesome to see him and work with him again). It is a normal stateroom. Everything you would expect. My wife and I aren't sure we would book it again because we are so rarely in the room that it just really isn't important to use for the extra $$. Our room attendant was fine. Only really had to encounter here a few times on the trip. My mother-in-law and sister-in-law had a room at the front of the ship. It had a huge slanted window( yes I hit my head on it). They would watch the ship arrive in port and be guided in at each stop. My mother-in-law loved this.