MSC Opera Cruise Review by Speakers1: What has Changed MSC? Very Dissapointed!

Speakers1
Member Since 2011

Family & Children 3.0

Compare Prices on MSC Opera Baltic & Northern Europe Cruises

What has Changed MSC? Very Dissapointed!

Sail Date: May 2014
Destination: Baltic & Northern Europe
Embarkation: Southampton

My husband and I decided to treat the family to a two night mini cruise to Guernsey on MSC Opera (this would be our third trip on her) so we paid £3200 for 1 suite, 2 balconies & 2 Outsides, 11 people in total 4 children and 7 adults, Allegrissimo Drinks package purchased in advance for everyone, so excited, we all arrived at Southampton for 10.30 in readiness for our 11am embarkation! AND THEN!

DAY 1

1. Passengers were still disembarking at 11.20am and we eventually started to embark at 11.50 we actually got onto the ship at 1pm.

2. Lunch in the buffet was tasteless and just warm.

3. The lifeboat drill was a shambles, we arrived in plenty time, put our life jackets on (without anyone showing us how to), a whistle blew and it was over????

4. Only one waiter was working a full half side of the ship in the main lounge, so getting a drink was virtually impossible.

5. We had second seating dining at 8.30, so we queued from More 8.15 until 8.45 as the previous sitting we're still leaving their tables! We sat down at 8.50 and eventually ate our main course at 10pm! We did not order dessert or coffee it would have been far too late. The food was really sub standard, veal that was Luke warm and virtually see through and the mussels starter came with as many closed and empty shells as good ones.

6. My parents had requested twin beds, but they did not put them into that configuration until we were dinner, so my dad who is wheelchair bound, had to sleep in his chair in the afternoon.

7. My sister in laws cabin was not refreshed in the evening, even though she vacated it at 7 to go for dinner, dirty towels still in the bath and bed not made.

8. Waiters very few and far between and waiting times for drinks around 20-30 minutes.

DAY 2

1. A beautiful hot day in Guernsey, back on the ship, not enough waiters in the pool areas, again, waiting time for drinks 30 minutes plus, with people arguing about others pushing in, after being frustrated at waiting patiently to get served.

2. The queue to get into the restaurant for dinner was smaller, due to many people deciding not to go.

3. The starter of calamari was the equivalent to chewing rubber bands and again cold.

4. Roast beef dinner was portion controlled enough for a small child and the mash potato was processed I.e smash type and sloppy.

5. I had a conversation in the Casino, with a travel agent, who told me that she could not recommend MSC to her customers for fear of complaints! I did explain that this was our third time on Opera, and both times previously, we had been extremely happy with the service and food, it was almost unrecognisable from our last two sailings.

6. We were woken just before 7am by our cabin steward telling us it was indeed 7am, and that we needed to vacate our cabin. My sister in law was woken at 6.30am!

7. When disembarking the ship, my mum was stopped and told that she hadn't paid her bill, her account was linked to my credit card when we joined the ship in Southampton, they had not done it properly, I asked the security man what we nedeed to do, he said I needed to go and queue to pay, I told him that I had not queued for an hour like my brother to remove the tips for the shocking service, so I certainly was not going to queue to pay, so an officer went to do this, 45 minutes later I had to ask security to chase on the payment and mums card, as I was worried about mum standing in the cold for so long! Whilst standing there at least 6 others were told the same thing about their accounts, and quite frankly made to look like criminals.

Now that is all that I can remember and say to MSC we want Opera, back as she was, you need more staff, better leadership and direction and a bloody good chef! We have booked on MSC Divinia for August and MSC Fantasia for October, but now we are considering the options and that is sad! £3200 for two nights We really do feel like we have been robbed! Less

Read more MSC Opera cruise reviews >>