Celebrity Millennium Cruise Review by robb11561: One Disappointment After Another

robb11561
Member Since 2014

Compare Prices on Celebrity Millennium Cruises

One Disappointment After Another

Sail Date: May 2014
Destination: Other
Embarkation: Other

The Celebrity Millennium was "Solticisized" back in 2012. In the overhaul, Deck 11, Aqua Class was added. We have sailed aboard the Solstice, so we weren't expecting too much. But this sailing was the worst cruise experience we've had. I knew not to book Celebrity because of our first experience with them, but the itinerary looked too good to pass up. The cruise was a transpacific sailing from Tokyo (Yokohama) to Vancouver, BC.

The overhaul of the vessel seemed to not have been given much thought or planning. Our stateroom was an Aqua Class stateroom on deck 11, #1101. The stateroom's cooling and heating system seemed like it was the exhaust for the galley. The room constantly smelled of food/garlic and our clothes came out smelling of food. One of the selling points of an Aqua Class room is the aromatherapy; we could not even smell a hint of our aroma diffusers. Not relaxing at all.

When we checked in, we found that our air conditioning was not cooling. I reported More it to the staff. Four days later, the room was still not cool enough during the day. However, since we were sailing into cooler climates, it really didn't matter at this point. We simply kept the slider open whenever we were in the room.

Aqua Class guests are given access to the Persian Garden Spa, deck 10, forward. The easiest way to get to the spa from our room would be to traverse the outside deck to go forward, then to descend one deck to deck 10. It would be fine, but weather conditions in May made that miserable. We had to go down to deck 9 (since deck 10 aft was the buffet), walk forward, then go back up to deck 10. The spa staff lost all but 2 locker keys, otherwise, it would have been fine to walk outside with a jacket, then store our outside clothes in a locker. So, walking outside in temperatures just above freezing, wearing robes, was not an option.

From embarkation to disembarkation, we had nothing but disappointment after disappointment. We did not allow them to make our expensive vacation completely miserable and made the best of things. Aqua Class was supposed to receive priority check in and boarding. When we arrived at the port in Yokohama, we submitted our luggage to the porter, waited in a long line to receive a number, then waited for our number to be called to go through security, then check in. The process was lengthy, two hours and we still hadn't check in! When we finally checked in, they didn't have our seapass cards ready, they had to re-key them (it took an additional 45 minutes!). We've sailed another cruise line and they escort their premier customers through security without delay. During the course of the cruise, we experienced so many negative things, too many to list here. Then at the end of the cruise, when we claimed our luggage at baggage claim, we found that one of the suitcases had been damaged beyond repair. When I brought it to the attention of an employee, who was wearing a Celebrity name tag, he told me to write the company. When we reached our hotel, I telephoned Guest Relations; they told me I needed to have reported it at the pier.

During the cruise, I spoke with other passengers who confirmed that the Millennium and her crew were not the best or even good in comparison with other ships/cruise lines. I don't think I will be booking another Celebrity cruise. We sail twice a year and this was the worst experience ever. Less

Read more Celebrity Millennium cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Millennium Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Millennium 1101

The kitchen vented into the stateroom's heating and cooling system. All day, everyday, we smelled food and garlic. Our clothes smelled of food. The stateroom is also smaller than the average Aqua Class room. There was a smaller sofa instead of the larger, leather Aqua Class sofa. On our previous Celebrity cruise, we received an upgraded tote bag. When I asked Guest Relations for the tote bag on this cruise, she told us Aqua Class no longer gets the tote, only Concierge Class (but Concierge Class fares are lower...go figure!). Also Concierge Class gets a separate check in lounge (again, they pay a lower fare!)