Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by skunklady

Carnival Splendor
Carnival Splendor
Member Name: skunklady
Cruise Date: April 2014
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Bahamas
See More About: Carnival Splendor Cruise Reviews | Bahamas Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Dining 5+
Public Rooms 5+
Shore Excursions 5+
Value-for-Money 5+

Great time

After reading all of the reviews about the Splendor, I was a bit leary. After being on this ship, I would go again without hesitation.

Getting to the port in Manhattan was, well, an adventure. We have never been in a city like that. I pretty much ducked and didn't watch the cab ride the whole way there. Also, cruising out of New York, I knew it would be cold, however, it was colder that it was in my home state. I would cruise out of New York again, but I would do it in the summer months.

The ship is pink, but not so much that it was really bad. I thought the decor through out the ship was pretty cool, I really liked it.

The service was fantastic, our wait staff at the dining room could not have been better. We never really met our room steward, but the room was always cleaned and nice to come back to. Also, they have a card that says to put your towels on the floor if you want fresh ones, we never did this because I don't feel the need to have a fresh towel every time I shower, however, we did get fresh towels all the time. The people working on this ship are always there with a smile on their face and ready to help if you need it or just to say HI.

We didn't use the main pools at all. We used the jacuzzi once. It was good.

I had a three for one spa treatment, it was okay. They also offer a spa package for over 200.00 for the whole cruise. We didn't get that package.

The food was always good. I don't know what people mean when they say it was just average. I liked it a lot as did my husband. Food always came hot and tasty. The 'sea day brunch' was something we always did. Loved it. Also checked out Tandori and liked it a lot. We had early dining and ate there every day except one. We didn't go to the steak house.

The only thing we did for entertainment was the comedy club. We went to the early show. it was okay. I wanted to go to other shows, however they usually started after 10 pm. We are usually up at 4 or 5 am, so by 10 pm we are usually in bed.

Our first port was Port Canaveral. We decided to just go to Cocoa beach. There is a bus you can take from the port to the beach and back. It was 16.00 per person, round trip. We were looking forward to going to the beach and playing in the ocean. The water was like ice, way to cold for us. After a couple of hours we just went back to the ship. We were on the lido in the back of the ship. It was so cool because some dolphins were swimming around the back of the ship looking for food. They did this for a few hours. It was great to see.

Our next port was Nassau. Again at this port we just decided to go to the public beach, Junkanoo beach is about a half to a mile away from the port. Not the best for swimming. We went to the beach for several hours. Then we decided to go to the straw market. At the straw market, they do try to get you to buy anything and everything. Some got mad because we didn't buy anything. If we ever do go to Nassau again we will pay the four or so dollars to go to the public beach on paradise Island. I didn't feel very safe the whole time we were there, however, nothing happened.

Our last port was Freeport, on the grand bahama island. We went on the perfume factory/brewery tour. Loved it. I would do this tour in a heart beat. My husband wasn't so sure about the cologne, he got a free small sample and really liked it so I ordered more when we got home. As for the brewery, it was interesting. Then we got to the taste testing, What a hoot, We had a blast. Our tour guide was a lot of fun.

I really liked going to Freeport and would not hesitate going there again.

The last two days on the ship were relaxing and just plain fun.

Like I said earlier, we would go on the Splendor again. Everything was always clean and the staff was great everywhere you went.

Our cabin was one of those in the back of the ship, not classified as a premium balcony, but it was one of those that was like a double balcony. Loved it. I thought that I wouldn't like not having a couch, but I really didn't notice it. I did love the fact that our bed faced the balcony. I would book this room again.

The only drawback we had was a minor one. We bought 'faster to the fun'. We got on the ship right after the platinum, gold and suite people, nice. Our stateroom was ready for us to unload right away, nice. I got my luggage within minutes of getting into our room. We had left all of our meds in my husbands luggage, well, it didn't come right away. With 'fttf' you are supposed to have your luggage right away.So we went to check out the ship. We boarded at about 11:30, at the 4pm muster drill, still luggage. My husband went to the pursers desk several times. we also talked to the people delivering the luggage, no luck. Right after the drill we were leaving port, there are some meds I need and since we had it when we were in Manhattan, I figured, no problem, it will be there right away. His luggage finally go there about 4:30. He unpacked. We were a little disappointed because we had paid for this service and got some of it, but not all of it. Well, we then got a phone call from guest services asking how long it took to get his piece of luggage and how everything else was. I told them, everything else was great, but I have a tendency to panic and it was fine now. I told them I was sorry for getting so upset. Well, they refunded the money for 'fttf'. I told them they didn't have to, they said that it was an inconvenience to us and they would (and did) refund our money. We got to use the benefits of 'fttf' for the rest of the cruise also. I would not cruise with out buying 'fttf'.

All in all, we had a fantastic time. Would I cruise Carnival again? YES, Would I go on the Splendor again YES. Loved it. Miss it

Publication Date: 05/30/14
Read the Bahamas ports review by skunklady
More Carnival Splendor Cruise Reviews