Norwegian Getaway Cruise Review by cruisingallthetime01

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Norwegian Getaway Cruise Review by cruisingallthetime01
Norwegian Getaway
Norwegian Getaway
Member Name: cruisingallthetime01
Cruise Date: May 2014
See More About: Norwegian Getaway Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Public Rooms 5+
Value-for-Money 5+

Ship Facts: Norwegian Getaway Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Norwegian Getaway Deck Plans
Wonderful new ship and great entertainment and food!

We sailed on the Getaway May 10th. My husband and I have always gone on Carnival and decided we would try Norwegian for a change. Wow, we were thrilled that we did!

Embarkation was a piece of cake. We drove from Naples, Florida and arrived at the port at 11:30AM. Dropped our luggage off with the porter and went to the parking garage and found a space immediately.

When we got inside the terminal we checked right in and went straight to our room (balcony 10282 Aft) and dropped off our carry on and continued to the service desk to put cash on our card so we could immediately get a drink! We encountered no lines there and were so pleased with the fast pace of service!

We explored the ship and let me tell you its huge! The atrium 6,7,8 is where all the action takes place, restaurants, entertainment,casino, and bars. Once we got the lay of the land and walked around the top deck we decided to go to O'Sheehan's for lunch which was very good! After lunch we went to our stateroom and unpacked which there is plenty of storage space contrary to what you read in other reviews. We stored our luggage under our bed. The Balcony is a little small, but plenty of room to sit out and read a book or just enjoy the ocean view. Of course there is the safety drill everyone has to participate in which was at 3:30pm and took all of 10 min. at the most. After that we sailed out of the port at 4:15PM and the party on the pool deck began!

Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner: We had breakfast every morning in the taste restaurant which was always hot and very delicious. I had my coffee in our room every morning (small coffee pot ) in Balcony cabins so I did not experience the coffee in the dining room, but my husband did and he said it was good.

Lunch: We usually had lunch in the Taste Restaurant also most days or O'Sheehan's which we found was always very good. We did try the Buffet a couple of days, but the food was alway's cold and not very tasty.

Dinner: The first night we had dinner at Taste and of course it was great. The next night we ate at Teppanaki Steak house and it was the best dinner by far. So much food they give you and the chef's at the table were very entertaining. We ate at the Tropicana on the next evening and it was very good, more formal, but the service was spot on. Not sure what people were talking about having bad service there? We had dinner at the Illusionarium (included) with the show and it was great. The show was excellent and I got my 5 sec. of fame in helping out one of the acts in the show. Lots of fun and still can't figure out how they do some of the Illusions! We ate at the Italian restaurant one night which was ok, comparable to Olive Garden and the service was some what slow compared to the other restaurants. The rest of the evenings we ate at Taste or O'Sheehan's. DO NOT miss the prime rib night at Taste or Savor it is to die for!!!

Entertainment: We went to see Burn the Floor which to my amazement my Husband really liked! The dancers and singers were awesome the best we have seen on any ship! Legally Blonde was ok, my husband thought it was more for teens, but he stayed through the whole show. I have to agree with him it was just ok. Comedy club was very good we enjoyed the comedian's . Dueling piano players were awesome do not miss them. One of the guys jumps in and plays the violin and did Charlie Daniels "Devil went down to Georgia" which was totally awesome! The bartenders at the Sugarcane Mojitio Bar were very entertaining with their memory games. After a couple of Mojitio's they decide to start screwing with your brain...lol. Piano player at that bar did a Beatles tribute night and he was also great.

Casino: What can I say....we dropped a lot in the machines and played every night for awhile, but they got all our money not so lucky on the Getaway as I was on Carnival Breeze. A lot of people complained that the slot machines were not very generous. Did not play Bingo in the theater it was to much money for what you would win not worth it!

Cudo's out to Rene' are bartender in O'sheehan's he was the best and always made a great drink! Also Cudo's to Walter our room steward. Our room was always so clean and fresh smelling. I even asked on the 4th night to have our bed linen changed and he had no problem with it!

Ports: What can I say we have been to St.Marteen and St Thomas and Nassau umpteen times and we did not do any excursions. We took a water taxi into St.Marteen and walked around the shops and the beach. We went in early in the AM around 9 and by Noon it was scorching hot so we took water taxi back to ship and had lunch and relaxed.

St Thomas we took a cab and did the walk through the shops and stopped at a cafe and had some cheap cold beers. We did some shopping and went back to ship and stopped at Senior Frogs (next to ship) and had the best time! Very entertaining in there and had plenty of drinks before getting back on the ship.

Debarkation: Very easy best ever! We opted to put our luggage out the night before and pick up in the terminal when we got off. We used color tags Lime which gave you until 9AM to Debark. We showered and dressed and went to Taste for our last breakfast! We were done early and got in line with the 8:30AM people and were off the ship, got our bags and through customs by 9AM.

All in all the Norwegian Getaway is a great ship! We had impeccable service by all on the ship. The crew were always smiling and happy. By far the best entertainment we have seen on a cruise and we have been on 12 now. Food was awesome and no one pushed you to buy the drink of the day. My advise is not to listen to the negative other people have to say. I did my research before we booked and read the positive and negative reviews. My opinion your on vacation, have a great time and enjoy the Getaway!!!

Publication Date: 05/28/14
More Norwegian Getaway Cruise Reviews

Read the previous Norwegian Getaway review Read the next Norwegian Getaway review

More Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews