Disney Fantasy Cruise Review by CSHaydt: A true family focused week on the Disney Fantasy

CSHaydt
Member Since 2012

Family & Children 5.0

Compare Prices on Disney Fantasy Mexican Riviera Cruises

A true family focused week on the Disney Fantasy

Sail Date: April 2014
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

We just got off the Disney Fantasy and it was a truly magical week. I highly recommend this fantastic trip to any family. Now we are Disney veterans and have done the 4 night on the Dream (2012) and my husband and I honeymooned on the Magic (2000). We have also cruised on NCL (2002) and Royal Caribbean (2006)

My son is 8 and when we got off the Dream in 2012; it was unanimous that our next trip would be a 7 night on the Fantasy. The service, the activities and atmosphere exceeded all expectations. We stayed on deck 9 mid ship in a Deluxe Inside Stateroom. Plenty of room for a family of 3 and the virtual porthole is awesome!! It was the perfect location. Easy to walk up and down from the pool area and easy enough to walk down when elevators were busy. This was a great location.

Our son loved the cool classes in the kids club and enjoyed the evening activities. We typically spend all of our time together on vacations but he asked to go in the club every night (except More pirate night) We had the late dining and loved the fact that they took the kids at 9:15 to the club so my husband and I could enjoy a drink after dinner at Skyline or the tube. One night we even had dinner at Palo; we fed our son in the pool area and he ran into the kids club as we enjoyed a dinner alone. He made so many friends, he was sad to go the last day and one he has even become a pen pal with.

Animators Palate was the coolest dining room ever so different from our trip on the Magic so many years ago; the way they animate drawings was crazy! The other dining rooms were very nice; the food was fantastic! Our servers were awesome; they knew what we liked and had drinks pre-set for us, they recommended great dishes and steered us away from ones they thought we might not enjoy! Lots of great kid friendly food and honestly when traveling with our son that's very important to us. He eats well and loves veggies but to go a whole week without something as easy as chicken fingers would have been hard.

The service on the Fantasy was UNBELIEVABLE! Absolutely everyone bent over backwards to accommodate every need you have and did it with a smile. My in-laws joined us for this trip and my father in law uses oxygen and uses a wheel chair. They exceeded every expectation for assistance he could have possibly imagined.

The night shows were Disney quality and wonderful, the last night's show wasn't our favorite though. Buckets and Boards entertained and my son that they were very cool; my husband wasn't as into them but I thought they were pretty impressive.

Lastly, I love the way Disney does not nickle and dime you like other cruise lines; granted you are paying for it up front but I felt like the value was well worth it.

Now of course as with any vacation there were ups and downs. There are a few things you should be aware of: the Donald pool which is the deeper 5' had horrible hours only 9 am - 6 pm. I understand they had to close it for shows on the pool deck but on nights when there was no parties, it would have been nice to have them open later. The pools in general are not very large and are very crowded! The aqua duck is fantastically fun but the line moves very slowly (but it's worth the wait).

My husband's only complaint was he felt the photo people were a little intrusive during dinner and just started taking photos of your group without asking. That didn't bother me, we just said no thank you.

Not in the control of the cruise line but it was very windy during the cruise (we hardly felt it on the ship) but the wind kept us from porting in Costa Maya and we couldn't see the Ruins; which was a bummer. Also it meant we couldn't swim with the stingrays on Castaway Cay or swim in the ocean on Cozumel. With that said; it didn't detract from our trip, we still had a great time! Honestly any day in the Caribbean is better then one at home.

The fantasy was very easy to embark and disembark, Word of advice. Check in at midnight as soon as your day comes up. The faster you check in the quicker you can get on the ship the day you leave. We were in group 2. Probably in the group of the first 50 people on the ship.

Prior to leaving on the cruise; we stayed at the Radisson in Port Canaveral. A nice hotel and we have stayed there before but this time, our bed was broken and there were little gnats in the room. Management dealt with it quickly so i can't really complain and they were very accommodating. We had a little breakfast before the cruise but saved our appetites for the first buffet.

I hope this little review was helpful! Pull the trigger! Book the Fantasy! Less

Read more Disney Fantasy cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Disney Fantasy Review >>

Cabin review: Disney Fantasy 9049

FANTASTIC LOCATION! Great room, easy access to 2 sets of elevators, quick walk up to the pools and quite! Have had this same room on both the Dream and Fantasy!

Tons of fun, Get off early - go to the second tram stop to get a nice place on the pelican plunge beach!

Jeep Tour

(3)

The tour was nice but i wouldn't recommend it. 1st - the jeep was in poor condition. 2. they advised us to drive in a way were not comfortable with, with our child in the back. 3. They didn't advise us upfront we would not be able to swim in the ocean and we were suppose to have 90 minutes of beach time. 4. They tried to up sell us tequila at the last location. I will say the lunch they provided was fresh and very delicious.

We didn't plan an excursion at this location. We should have!!!!! otherwise there is nothing to do; we got off, had lunch at Margaritaville Restaurant (very good) but then we just walked around... pretty boring!