Legend of the Seas Cruise Review by juliang: I hope Royal Caribbean and other cruise line execs are reading this

juliang
Member Since 2005

Cabin Not Rated

Compare Prices on Legend of the Seas Transatlantic Cruises

I hope Royal Caribbean and other cruise line execs are reading this

Sail Date: April 2014
Destination: Transatlantic

Just about a diamond plus member of RCI. Also have done Princess, HAL, NCL and Carnival.

I did the TA solo with an inside cabin, because I especially wanted to see Normandy and the rest of the itinerary was excellent. Legend is a smaller ship but has most everything you need. just on a smaller scale. I found out I liked that.. The service was excellent in all aspects, everywhere you went on the ship. It was well maintained.

The food , except in chops was ordinary at best, despite some wordsmithing in the menus describing the dishes, creating the illusion that it was going to be more than it actually was, as in "believe how we describe it and don't believe your lying taste buds". Other reviewers are right--they are cutting back on the quality of the food they are serving; the reviews of the Celebrity Solstice ships suggest that as well. The comparison has been made to the airlines cutting back and then nickel and dining for snacks. If the Cruise Lines are using this More as an example they are overlooking an important fact--when I have to go somewhere, I usually have to fly--it is not optional like going on a cruise. For vacations we have a variety of choices, other all-inclusives in fact which I am reviewing right now. The best day in day out food we have had has been on HAL TA and Bermuda, and celebrity 12 day Mediterranean. I tried Carnival a couple years ago from NYC as an experiment and was shocked to learn the food in the MDR after the first two days was better than RCI.

The entertainment --some of it on this cruise was outstanding. Jackie Scott who performed on the London Stage in CATS was remarkable. The violin player and the Celtic Tenors were very good. So were one or two other acts. The Orchestra was terrific. The small bands in the centrum--neither of the girl leads could carry a tune and were constantly flat or sharp.

The cast--tiresome cast shows and there are better singers cut from the Voice or Idol shortly after they arrive for Hollywood week. They are probably paying these kids next to nothing.

magicians--not David Copperfield, and better ones appear on Americas Got Talent, but don't get paid for it. There is simply too much talent out there and appearing on TV talent shows to get by with what they are offering.

Jugglers and Hypnotists-- missing were the sword swallowers and other carny and county fair acts. This has to go the way of the borscht belt. Maybe the Ma and Pa kettles seeing live professional entertainment, who don't get the chance to do so very often are ok with it. But I believe they need to update what they are offering,and I don't believe the next generation and the generation after that would put up with it..I know I wont.

TV--the selection was as parsimonious as you can imagine. Only a few stations with the same rerun , old movies--there were two or three of them, and old tv sitcoms--one or two, re-run again and again. RCI even seemed to be pirating some shows in English from Poland because the commercials were in Polish. There were far more shows in foreign languages than English. The cruise left from Ft Lauderdale, not Warsaw. I like to watch TV after a show, sometimes before dinner...

Yet , the cruise was relaxing , and I got to visit some great ports , and especially Normandy so close to the 70th anniversary of D-Day. Less

Read more Legend of the Seas cruise reviews >>