Become a Cruise Insider
Tips, deals and more in your inbox.

MSC Magnifica Cruise Review by Mahmoniker: MSC Magnifica/Western Europe Review

MSC Magnifica/Western Europe Review

Sail Date: April 2014
Destination: Europe - British Isles & Western
Embarkation: Amsterdam

There seems to be little information on MSC cruises so I am sharing out balcony experience on Magnifica.

We agreed with most posts saying food tedious, not tasty...repetitive. The lunch salad bar was okay and fruit fresh enough. Veeeery limited free drinks. Formal dining did not seem to help food and orders often wrong and service hurried at second seating. We quickly (three nights) choose to go buffet and called it the "carb cruise". Fries and almost meatless pizza with occasional surprise of something different but still not well seasoned on buffet. Nothing to order at breakfast.

Formal dining seemed very unorganized and waits were painfully long to often get wrong order.

A few European cruisers (two families) seemed pleased with food so perhaps it's a difference in taste and preferences.

We did not look forward to meals and hey, a good Subway sandwich can work for us. So: be prepared to be underwhelmed with taste of food. Or variety.

The More linens were mended and cabin seemed dated for age of ship. We had bedspread removed. Did not appear to be clean but can't say. We didn't use it. The mattress very uncomfortable. We flipped one of the twins (which made a king) and it was somewhat better. The pillows were very bad. Felt like a bunch of rolled socks in a bag.

I went to boot camp so I know uncomfortable and again, not overly picky...but suggest you bring your own pillow if you have trouble with comfort.

Not much to do on ship for non-opera loving English speakers. Bring media/books/video. I gave away a book to a hungry-to-read american and several others were surprised to learn there was only news channel available. No TV for english language.

We tendered one day. Big time preference to those who purchased shore excursions. Perhaps true of many cruise lines.

We have about 80 cruises between the two of us. We would do MSC again if ports were right...but would bring pillows and malt vinegar and maybe salsa and books and more video. (We did get thru two and a half seasons of Games of Thrones tho....good opportunity if you want to get into a mini-series).

Embarkation and disembarkation was fine. Quick and painless in Amsterdam however the bulk of ship boarded in Hamburg.

Our phone didn't work and after several attempts to get it fixed we gave up. This seemed to be true of others with maintenance issues.

I want to keep an open mind about other MSC ships.....but I would not, based on my one experience, choose MSC if I had other choices. It is not a "cruise" choice but is a possibility if I consider it a "traveling hotel" which goes to ports I desire to visit.

In summary: it's a traveling hotel...if the seas are calm, the ports right....I'd do MSC again. But not in the US where I have other choices. Less

Published 05/26/14

Read more MSC Magnifica cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's MSC Magnifica Review >>

Cabin review: 9033

The room was adequate, a little room at foot of bed to move towards the balcony. The furnishings very cheap. The linens need replacing as did mattress. I urge MSC to consider the need for comfortable sleep and upgrade to good mattress and soft pillows.

This was my third visit to Bruges. Other trips including staying several days.

It's beauty is now lost in hoards of tourists.

Disneyland has arrived.

I will not return.

It might be worth a visit to see "the Madonna" but otherwise...I'd go to Ghent.

The cliffs are interesting to see. We wanted to hike but Sunday availability of taxis limited and we had already gone to Canterbury Cathedral so didn't want to chance not getting taxi.

Trains easy to catch to other nearby places and of course, ability to speak English, helped with transport etc.

Read 25 Dover Reviews

This port MADE the trip worthwhile. Public transportation a breeze and city wonderful. Art, castle, shopping, history, views, churches...a wonderful taste of a wonderful isle. We will go back.

This city has interesting architecture and bus/ferry transportation is easy. Leaving the town on the river is a lovely experience. I do not recommend Hamburg as compared to other European ports but understand Lubeck is a wonderful historical walled city worth a trip.

Read 32 Hamburg Reviews

I rate this a three because I did take an excursion to Mont St Michel and this port allowed me to do so. It makes several desirable locations available but town itself is a working port.

My boyfriend took shuttle into town and found several interesting things to do including an interesting 20th century church.

I found the drive to St Michel interesting because was able to see Normandy and cross a amazing bridge over the Seine.

Read 113 Le Havre Reviews

I am glad that MSC offered this port because I would never otherwise see this isle.

We had to be back onboard at 1 pm and perhaps a couple extra hours to hike would help.

It is neat, everything near to tender dock.

Public transport easily allows one to go entirely around island and see bunkers from WWII.