Grand Princess Cruise Review by fgz

Cruise Date: May 2014
Embarkation: Vancouver
Destination: U.S.A.
Cabin Number: C311
See More About: Grand Princess Cruise Reviews | U.S.A. Cruise Reviews | Princess Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Grand Princess Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Grand Princess Deck Plans
First Time and the Last Time on Princess!

Just got back from a repositioning cruise (Vancouver to Seattle). Worst experience ever, and I have been on many repositioning cruises (Norwegian and Holland America).

First - we had to stand in line for 3 HOURS! before we even got through customs. Then another wait before we were given our cruise identification, then another wait to have your card scanned and picture taken - all before we even got on the boat. Our room was okay, I have seen better. You can tell this boat is dated. We had a balcony, but while we were sitting on the balcony all you heard was thump, thump, like there was a door slamming in the wind. Very irritating! The bathroom sink had no cold water. I was looking forward to a nice sit down dinner, but waiting in line for 3plus hours with nothing to eat and drink, we went to the first eatery we found and wolfed down a hamburger and something to drink. That was my dinner, because after that I did not feel like eating anymore. Once we got on the ship the stewards were standing around pushing "mango punch" drinks at you - I thought it was some kind of compensation for having to wait so long - HA what was I thinking! The entertainment on the boat was boring. For breakfast had to stand in line AGAIN, and by the time you sat down your food was cold. One of the public bathrooms was disgusting. The elevators were so S-L-O-W, you could run up the stairs faster because you had to WAIT a long time for the elevators to come to your floor. (And I have difficulty walking stairs and I still beat the elevator.) When I received my invoice the next morning, they charged us for 4 drinks that we did not even have. So I had to go to Service desk and WAIT to be helped. I was afraid there would be a problem, but I brought all my receipts down to prove those 4 drinks @ $9.50 each were not mine! That took a while to get straightened out. We were told to be out of our rooms by 8:00am and our group was to meet at the Princess Theatre and we would be able to disembark at 8:30. Again we waited....and waited....and waited and waited some more. We were finally able to get off at 10:30, BUT you guessed it, we had to wait again at customs for almost another hour. It got to the point I was so angry I could have cried. One person said he needed to catch a plane, and the only response he got, was sorry I don't make the rules.

This was my husband's first cruise and I had given him all the hype about cruising, but you won't find him on another cruise. As we left the terminal I saw another line up of people waiting to get on the Princess Cruise line - I feel sorry for them, they don't know what's coming to them. Thankfully our hotel made up for it (Hyatt @ Olive 8). When they heard about our disaster cruise, they gave us a $20.00 hotel credit and said coffee is on us. I kept telling my husband it's is not usually like this, and someone else in the line up had just got off a Norwegian cruise and they had no problems. There were 2,000 people on this ship, all who were disgusted by the whole procedure. There were people standing in line for 3 hours walking with a cane and some who had difficulty walking, let alone standing. So Princess Cruise Lines you better get your act together because you will certainly loose a lot of business.

Publication Date: 05/26/14