Norwegian Getaway Cruise Review by db62

Norwegian Getaway
Norwegian Getaway
Member Name: db62
Cruise Date: May 2014
See More About: Norwegian Getaway Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals
Dining 5+
Public Rooms 5+
Spa & Fitness 5+

Ship Facts: Norwegian Getaway Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Norwegian Getaway Deck Plans
Pretty good time...

My wife and I just got back from the May 10th sailing and overall we had a pretty good time.

We had an aft facing balcony (11912). The cabin had a lot of space and the balcony had two loungers, two chairs, a table and still enough space to move around. While aft balcony gives you some nice protection from the wind when at sea, we did notice a build up of soot overnight and would have to wipe down the chairs before using them. Just something to watch out for.

The ship was supposedly full but it certainly didn't seem that way. That might be due to some of the addons we did. We managed to get in on a promotion that included the Ultimate Dining Package so we never did eat at the main dining rooms. We also bought a week pass to the Vibe Beach Club so avoided the pool.

While we ate at the specialty dining rooms at night we usually had breakfast and lunch at o-Sheehans. Not a whole heck of a lot of variety there but it had what we wanted so it was good and service was quite attentive.

For the specialty restaurants we ate at Cagneys, le Bistro, Moderno, Teppanyaki, la Cucina and Ocean Blue. Cagneys, le Bistro and Moderno were very good. Teppanyaki was just okay as we've have had much better Teppan style cooking right here at modern. Moderno was a disappointment. Typical all the meat you can eat Brazilian restaurant but the service was terrible. If that's your thing then the food quality was no better or worse than any other place I've been to but the service here was terrible. The waiter was very inattentive. While Ocean's Blue was not included in the UDP it was by far the best restaurant we ate at on the ship or on this trip. We would consider it to be among the nest restaurants we've eaten and we've been to some really good upscale restaurants. We liked it so much we went back a second time. My wife raved about the clams but I thought the calamari stole the show. The charred broccoli was something else as well. As far as value goes, our two meals at Ocean's Blue cost less than what we paid for single meals at a couple of restaurants we ate at in Miami. While opinions may vary we though the value (quality for process) was exceptional.

As far as entertainment goes we only took in a couple of shows. Burn the floor was awesome while we walked out of Legally Blond about 20 minutes into the show. Some things just don't translate well to musicals and the female singing just grated on me.

Spent a lot of time at the Blackjack tables and had a lot of fun there. Overall I played about 20 hours of blackjack and came out $25 ahead so for for me that was cheap entertainment. Dealers were good and were quite fun to be with.

As mentioned above we did get a week pass to the Vibe Beach Club and I'm not sure I would do that again. The solitude was nice but it was a bit of a hike to the pool if you wanted to take a dip. There are a couple of hot tubs in the club which I thought was good, but there was one guy there that complained a couple of days that the water in the hot tub was... wait for it... hot.

While there is a lot of sun deck area I was disappointed with the pool area. They seemed to have given up pool space for the other activities they have there such as water slides, climbing wall, ropes course, etc. but given that I had no interest in those things more pool space would have been better.

Spent a few days in the fitness area and it was good. Nothing special about it.

Embarkation and disembarkation was a breeze.

Publication Date: 05/26/14
More Norwegian Getaway Cruise Reviews

Read the previous Norwegian Getaway review Read the next Norwegian Getaway review

More Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews