Azamara Journey Cruise Review by blooknup

Member Name: blooknup
Cruise Date: May 2014
Embarkation: Athens (Piraeus)
Destination: Eastern Mediterranean
See More About: Azamara Journey Cruise Reviews | Eastern Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Azamara Cruise Deals
Dining 5+

LuxuryOnly.com

Azamara Journey Rave Review

We sailed from Piraeus on the Journey to Paros, Patmos, Kusadasi (Ephesus), Rhodes, Cyprus and Israel. I could only come up with one little complaint! Only one! The internet connection was so slow that I was unable to complete any communications or connect with my personal email in 15 min. I mentioned it and they gave me 15 minutes complimentary. This was unexpected and a pleasant surprise.

This was by far the happiest cruise experience of my life. I have taken many cruises and none can compare. A majority of the waitstaff were very friendly, always smiling and all were extremely attentive. The Capt. Johannes was seen daily, always out and about making sure things were going well for his passengers.

We were so pleased with the food choices in the Discoveries (buffet) dining room that we only ate in the formal dining room twice. They featured a different cuisine each night. We loved sitting outside on the back deck of the ship enjoying the fantastic and delicious assortment of the daily fare.

The entertainment was very good in spite of the small cast. Eric de Grey, the cruise director, was a hoot...I won't spoil the surprise for you....(stilletos!). His hairstyle looked like he used a Cuisinart hand blender to style it! And it never even blew in the wind...LOL!

There was hand sanitizer at the entrance to all restaurants and they almost MADE you use it! You were squirted with it upon embarkation from every port. Great idea! But it got to be a little tiresome when your hands are full and you need two hands to rub the stuff in. Oh well, it's better than having a ship full of sick people.

The beds were super comfortable. Felt so good to sink into and feel the motion of the ocean lull you to sleep. The cabin had plenty of storage with space under the bed for the empty luggage. The bathrobes provided were super heavy. I could barely wear it without breaking a sweat. Need to provide something a little lighter for us lightweights! We used the free laundry machines about halfway through the cruise which turned out to be what everybody else had in mind. Need to plan that a little better next time.

They had a guest hypnotist who was pretty average. They had a cellist perform and we really enjoyed him. The vocalist, Anne, who is married to the drum player in the band is so talented.

Having free drinks is a nice feature to this cruise line. They offered different wines each day, so you had the opportunity to sample many wines from around the world. I only gained two pounds on this cruise because of the healthy choices that were always available. I only visited the gym once, but my husband frequented the gym and actually lost a few pounds on the cruise....guess I'm the one who found them!

The Azamazing Evening in Ephesus was spendid! We sat in an ancient amphitheatre and listened to a stringed orchestra as the sun went down and the lights came on to illuminate the fantastic ruins of the ancient city. What an evening..I had a very hard time getting on the bus to go back to the ship.

The thing I appreciated the most about this ship was the size. Because it is smaller, it can go to places off of the beaten path. I will surely book another cruise on Azamara in the future. It was pretty near PERFECT!

Publication Date: 05/26/14