Norwegian Getaway Cruise Review by carolannemo: Great trip for a family!

carolannemo
Member Since 2014

Family & Children 4.0

Compare Prices on Norwegian Getaway Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Great trip for a family!

Sail Date: May 2014

I was nervous about cruising Norwegian even though we had cruised on an Alaska cruise with them 10 years earlier because at that time we did not have young children. With a 6,5, and 1.5 year old in tow, we decided to try them out because of the great family special they were running. We have cruised Disney 5 times with the kids and have always had a great experience so we were unsure of how things would go. It turns out our worries were unnecessary as the trip was fantastic!

The room was a good size and it was so nice to be able to actually find a room to accommodate all three kids. If the kids were older I don't know how well they would have fit, but for our ages it was perfect. The staff was very friendly and helpful with us with the children everywhere we went. Bringing them to dinner was not an issue and we enjoyed the food at almost every restaurant. The buffet was good too and of course the kids loved the unlimited ice cream. It would be great if there could somehow be More quick food around the pool area as you are watching the kids play in the splash park (which was great by the way!) as this would be easier for quick lunch time by the pool. I didnt like the salty pool water, but perhaps I am spoiled with the Disney fresh water. The slides were fantastic though and the kids and parents enjoyed these! The ropes course was very fun and they have a ropes course for the little kids too. Just bring socks and good shoes or you cant do it! The bouncer and spider web slide was fun, but having it open more hours would have been great as it was open so infrequently. The putt putt golf was top notch! We all enjoyed it more then the one on the Disney cruises. The entertainment for children was great and they loved everything from the meet and greets, arts and crafts, and Dora party and story time. They even played Frozen in 3D one night in the theatre! The pajama jam the last day was fun but perhaps a bit overpriced for what you get since my kids didn't like any of the food. The kids' club was a lot of fun for them and the circus performance they gave at the end was great!! I really wish there was a place for my 1.5 year old to go so we could enjoy a show at night like they have on the Disney cruises, but they do not have that available so she tagged along to every event and dinner which ended up being ok. Everyone in the boys' kids club were great for the most part, but a couple of staff members probably should have worked somewhere else as they got a bit short with the kids at times when they would lose their patience.

Overall though, my five year old said as we were leaving that he didn't want to go because he had "such enormous fun!". Guest relations were very helpful and accommodating if there was an issue as they took care of things right away. I was very impressed with this! We will definitely have to Norwegian again. Less

Read more Norwegian Getaway cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Getaway Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Getaway 5774

The room was of good size for the five of us, but we were on the fifth deck and it got very noisy as you could hear a lot of boat noises and sometimes crew noises because of our location. Beds were comfortable and the large window was great. The bathroom was clean and large. Our stateroom helper was great and even decorated my room on my birthday!!