Carnival Conquest Cruise Review by amusin4crusin: Oh, Mexico. I'm going to ruins.

amusin4crusin
Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Carnival Conquest Western Caribbean Cruises

Oh, Mexico. I'm going to ruins.

Sail Date: May 2014

Getting on and off the ship went smoothly. My room was ready. It was about 2 pm.

The public areas on the ship were nice and in good shape.

This was my first time with a balcony after four inside cabins and the extra room was greatly appreciated. My room was under the pool area and I could hear furniture being moved around in the middle of the night. It wasn't too loud but if you are a very light sleeper it could be a problem.

The quality of the food in the MDR and the buffet varied.

The first night I ate in the steak house; worth the $35(plus they included a free bottle of wine.) Everything that I ate in the steak house was much better than the same item ( Crab Cake, spinach salad and shrimp cocktail) that I later had in the MDR. The food in the MDR was hit or miss. The lobster tail and the Chateaubriand were very good. The pasta dishes were also very good. Some of the other main dishes were a little dry. The fried shrimp appetizer was terrible. I More tried a couple of the cold soups; I guess I don't like cold soup. Service for the most part was very good.

On the two sea days I ate breakfast in the MDR. I had steak and eggs; very good.

Smoked salmon is not available at the buffet, so I ate Breakfast in the MDR.

The Guy's burgers and fries are very good. I ate there a couple of times.The pizza is also very tasty. I had the fish and chips which are only so so. I had a pastrami sandwich from the deli, it was terrible. The self serve "ice cream" is icy, only so so.

As for the entertainment, I saw part of the Divas show. It was OK. I went to see a magician and he was good but the venue wasn't. There was no P.A. and the stage wasn't raised. It was hard to see and hear. I saw five adult comic shows all were pretty good. At the staff Q & A, the CD said they were going to add another show. The karaoke selection was limited and had many duplicates.

There were four scheduled stops but Roatan was canceled due to high winds and seas. In Cozumel I went to the ruins of Tulum. And in Belize I took the city and ruins tour. I enjoyed them both and the ruins were different enough not to be redundant. In Belize I climbed up one of the ruins. The steps are very high. I had to climb on all fours. Then I had to climb down. It was a little scary. We went to another one. This one had an added staircase. Well if I had known I that I wouldn't have climbed the first one. In Costa Maya, I just walked around the little tourist area with souvenir shops and a bar. Nothing very interesting.

In summary, I would definitely take this cruise again for the price I paid.

I Less

Read more Carnival Conquest cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Conquest Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Conquest Balcony Verandah 8372

Altun Ha

(5)

I climbed up one of the ruins. The steps are very high. I had to climb on all fours. Then I had to climb down. It was a little scary. We went to another one. This one had an added staircase. Well if I had known I that I wouldn't have climbed the first one. It was different enough from Tulum to be worthwhile.

City Tour

(3)

I learned a lot about the country. I didn't see any old colonial buildings or other interesting architecture.

Mayan Ruins

(5)

First we had to get to the mainland. Took a ferry about 25 minutes. We had a very good guide, Carlos. We stopped at a souvenir shop along the way. The facilities were clean. We walked around the ruins. It wasn't too hot or too humid as I was afraid it might be in May.