Carnival Valor Cruise Review by Beadman: Carnival Valor is the best because of our waiter Francisco

Beadman
Member Since 2014

Compare Prices on Carnival Valor Southern Caribbean Cruises

Carnival Valor is the best because of our waiter Francisco

Sail Date: May 2014
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: San Juan

Carnival Valor is the best because of our waiter Francisco from Colombia!

I booked an early Birthday Cruise for my wife embarking from San Juan.

It was on their Valor ship and was the Southern Caribbean Cruise, 7 days.

The itinerary was amazing!

St. Thomas, USVI; Barbados; St. Lucia, WI; St Kitts, WI; St. Maarten, NA.

I was a little hesitant at first because I have heard from other cruisers about the rowdy nature of Carnival Cruise lines.

Well maybe so, but we did not have that problem, people were nice, the staff amazing and the ports of call scenic and blissful!

I WILL book another cruise on Carnival for many reasons.

They only require $50 down, they ANSWER the phones at all hours of the night, which was nice as they let me upgrade to a Balcony.

They answer your complaints in a timely manner.

We only had one complaint and it was addressed and all is right with the world.

We took their More Shuttle transfer from the airport and almost had a bad time due to their mistake.

They did not deliver our baggage on Sunday.

4 pm, 6 pm 11 pm went by no bags.

So we went to the Guest Services and they filed a report.

Well a lot of good a report is going to do with 4 big bags missing.

How can they lose 4 big bags on the way from SJU (San Juan International Airport) to the Cruise ship terminal.

Guest Services rep Ivan from Uruguay was very courteous, gave us a T Shirt, and a toiletries bag so we could freshen up.

This did not make me feel better as 4 am in the morning I had a bad thought.

I had my car keys in the big bag and if that was lost forever, how would I get home from the airport?

The next morning we were supposed to go on an excursion with another company and I did not want to go as I only had my Shark Skin suit.

9 am rolled around and a knock came to our door and our luggage was there.

They told us we wrote the room number down wrong, which was not true as we did NOT know the room number at the airport where we checked in the bags.

The man there said "No worries, we will deliver them to your room."

They did but not till Monday.

So I went down to guest services and told them we missed our Shore excursion and Wayne from the Bronx NYC comped us with an excursion in St. Thomas.

Francisco from Colombia, Nio Mikko from the Philippines and Teea from Romania were our 6 pm early dining waiters and they were the best we have ever had.

My wife and I cruised on Royal Caribbean, Norwegian and now Carnival.

My Father and myself cruised on MSC as well.

The Valor was a beautiful ship with lots of patriotic reminders, like Rosie The Riveter and a stuffed Bald Eagle amongst other reminders of America.

While the food was a little better on Royal Caribbean because the menu changed each night, the service was a lot better on Carnival.

Francisco from Colombia spoke Spanish to my wife and by Tuesday night, he had coffee waiting for us when we got to the table.

There was no reason to keep reminding him that we loved coffee, he understood and we always had fresh refills.

Nio Mikko was charming and his enthusiasm was very infectious and he would often look over and see if we needed anything.

Teea from Romania was about as nice as a waiter can be.

One night as they announced "SHOWTIME!" I danced with all three of them and other cruisers in a circle around the dining hall to "Hot Hot Hot", that was a lot of fun.

I know this from personal experience as I was a waiter in NYC and Washington DC.

Other personnel that shined were;

Elek from Serbia, Asya from Romania was a nice drink waiter smiling always.

Ida Bagus from Indonesia often filled up our cup with fresh coffee in the buffet hall.

Kristzina was a nice person in the buffet hall.

Mladen from Indonesia was one of our Room Service waiters and was very nice as well.

I enjoyed ordering a PB&J sandwich at 3 am without having to pay a charge.

Every morning when room service delivered our food, it was on time and fresh.

My wife met many people from Peru which was good as that is where she is from.

I met a lot of Filipinos and enjoyed talking with them as I did a Mission trip there last year.

We noticed about 20 other countries and everyone we met who worked form Carnival was smiling and nice.

Not the same on MSC and Royal Caribbean and Norwegian they seemed nice, but a little stand offish.

Every night our room attendant Utama from Indonesia left us chocolates on our bed along with a different towel shaped creature.

The shows were top notch, "Nightclub Express", "Far From Over" were both great entertainment with dancing and no lip syncing singing.

My wife and I went nearly every night to hear "Todo La Banda" a band form Peru and Mexico and they were excellent.

The Legends show the last night was cool as it was Carnival Cruisers that shined from karaoke sessions.

Marc, the band leader from Florida did an excellent job each night with his orchestra.

I personally think the man who sang "Friends in Low Places" by Garth Brooks stole the show and I do not really like Country except Johnny Cash.

We also liked the Pizza bar and ice cream station being open 24 hours a day.

The Java café was nice and I met the captain and he posed for a photo, unlike the other cruises where we had to pay for photos.

The Lattes were cheaper than Starbucks and better tasting.

When we docked in St. Lucia we had to go through a Customs check for a bag of toys and gifts we brought to the needy and underprivileged children of St. Lucia.

The Customs official looked over the bag and in minutes we left.

Later on that day we went to a school and made a lot of school children smile when we gave them gifts!

I liked the disembarkation process, we carried our own bags and did not have to wait in line to check out.

What we did not like was shirtless tattooed men right from the pool with body odor and suntan lotion in the buffet line.

Nor people with loaded plates of food saying to us "I am not sure if I can eat all of this."

Well if that is so, then do not fill up your plate!

PUT THE FORK DOWN!