Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by Cruising Nancy: Shame on Celebrity! Worst Cruise Ever

Cruising Nancy
Member Since 2010

Cabin Not Rated

Compare Prices on Celebrity Summit Bermuda Cruises

Shame on Celebrity! Worst Cruise Ever

Sail Date: May 2014
Destination: Bermuda
Embarkation: Bayonne (Cape Liberty)

You may not realize but a lot of us "Cruisers" are getting older, too. And we have other options for Cruising with more class! I wish someone had told me! Boy, was this a Class-Divided experience! I suppose the Sea Pass Card gave it away that we were 'new' to Celebrity but was that reason to treat us so poorly?! While treating others so special? I can take an old, dirty ship with so-so food and entertainment but treat me with respect!

My Husband & I (both 55+) have taken more than 10 cruises with a variety of different cruise lines and we have experienced great and no-so great cruises but this one takes the cake on being the worst ever! For this trip, I was with my Sister-in Law, same age. Her Husband (my Brother) passed away and we went to Bermuda to chose a location to scatter his ashes. I was born in Bermuda and our family lived there when I was young. This was not a Spring-Break, party kind of vacation but it was a vacation, nonetheless. She has been on just one other More cruise. Before we got on, trying to make updates to our booking was nearly impossible as Celebrity's Website Server seemed to be down all the while. Many people were complaining about fears they may not be able to make it in time! Tried to book for Cruise Critic's Meeting was even worse! From the time we walked on Summit the service and quality was bad. A woman in a white uniform (assuming an officer of the ship) simply waved us by her, no greeting whatsoever! She made it clear we were in the way, even though there was 20 feet between us and the next guests! We had never been on the ship nor sailed any Celebrity ships so we did not know where she was motioning us to but we followed the people and squeezed into an elevator with our bags. Before the doors closed, we heard that same officer "Welcoming Aboard" the people that were behind us! Really?! Their Sea Pass must have "dinged" differently when they got on! We found ourselves up at the buffet area and we found a crew member to ask how soon we could get into our cabin so we could drop off our bags. she said it would be just a short time and they would announce it on the speakers. Our cabin was a few decks directly under the buffet area on the aft of the ship so it made sense not to wander further until we got rid of our bags. We saw an empty table for 2 so we sat down to rest for a few minutes. We made sure our bags were against the wall and not taking up space as it seemed everyone had the same idea; wait there for their cabins to be ready. We tried to get a cup of iced tea while we waited but alas, no ice in the machine! It was already empty or never filled? We talked about getting some lunch while we were waiting but before we could decide if we would have time a "Manager" of some kind, (balding, overweight and an accent) came up to us and rudely announced that we were not eating and could not sit there-"you must go down to the Theater and wait for your cabin there!". We quickly got up, embarrassed, as people all around could hear him reprimanding us! We dragged our luggage back to the lobby of the elevators trying to find a deck plan and figured if we went to the Theater we would be at the other end of the ship and would have to drag all of our bags back as soon as they called our cabins ready. While waiting for the next available elevator we turned towards the buffet area and saw that same mean man pleasantly greeting and talking to a table of 4 people that had been seated right next to where we had been at...No drinks, no food, no Problem?! What!?

When we booked, we had to choose weeks in advance; Beds together or separated into twins, we asked for twin set up. For two women this allows more room to walk. There was a Queen set up.

We asked our cabin steward to correct this, and he kind of did. He left one in center, one against wall as it was so we had to lift and move the last bed and night stand where it was supposed to go.

Promised (booking amenities) an ice bucket each day, refreshed. 2nd day I asked if they could do this! They added a 1/2 bucket of water and a handful of ice only! My SIL brought a bottle of wine on with her, this bucket didn't allow it to get cold enough to drink it.

Asked the Room Steward to empty the bar fridge, the first day so we could put beer and wine in there, ourselves; he never did that and never turned it ON enough to get anything cold enough to drink. I put a Coors Light in it and checked it daily; never got cold!

Asked room Steward for wine glasses; got them the 3rd day after asking 2 more times, again! I know, we could have drank our warm beer and wine out of the bathroom glasses but really?!

Finally, went up to buffet, packed solid this time with everyone packing their plates. Found a quiet table to eat our food and prayed that mean man wouldn't come back and see us! My SIL finished her meal, almost and a busboy came by asking if she was finished so he could clear her plate. To begin with this is an offensive action that has become more prevalent in today's society; taking any plates before everyone at the table is finished is rushing the others to eat up! I am on vacation and find that practice, especially, in poor taste on a cruise. At any rate, I spoke up immediately and said "I was NOT finished", (and I wasn't going to be rushed). He placed my SIL's plates, napkin and silverware right on top of my plate while my fork was still in my hand and I was still chewing my food! I told him, again, that I was not finished and he looked down as though he was going to remove the dishes and allow me to finish before I made it clear I WAS DONE NOW!

I could list out more and more about the cutbacks we were hearing about from some of the other passengers. They used to keep towels out by the Sunset Deck area for the cooler evening air for comfort but stopped that due to cost of laundering. They had a singer & guitarist that sang similarly depressing music as in the other lounges. Although, in one of their larger lounges, they did have some sort of hip hop DJ that didn't talk and only played short snippits of music that no one could dance to. Out by the pool was packed with people taking naps and a short dance routine, here and there, for entertainment.

The average age is older than 60 and with the amount of mechanical transportation needed, I would say many are neare their 80's, God Bless them! It is probably cheaper to Cruise, week to week, then live in a Nursing Home, these days.

I have never been told "NO" so many times on any cruise before! They were not willing to accommodate us in the least on anything! One night I asked for a bucket of beer for the two of us (5 for price of 4) figuring we could take the iced beer back to our cabin and relax before bedtime. We had seen the flyer and thought it was a good deal. The Bartender said we couldn't get a bucket in that lounge, only by the pool area! The night before we had gotten a bucket from the same lounge and served pleasantly, which was rare! This one wanted to know who had served us but I wasn't about to throw anyone under the bus! Especially, since good service was so hard to find.

MDR service was just ok. Food was mediocre. Nothing was cooked as requested; one steak was med-rare on one end and raw on the other. I didn't like that we were seated between the kitchen and busboy station, it was loud and we kept hearing the manager (yes, the same mean man) yelling at his staff to hurry up. I didn't like that the waiter wanted us to order everything all at once! When I said we wanted to get drinks first and look over the menu, he gave us an attitude and the service became scarce at best. His young assistant that fetched our drinks was pleasant enough but his English was a little rough to understand. When he told me that I couldn't get Thousand Island dressing with my salad I was perturbed! I have never been in any restaurant that didn't offer that dressing!! But he came through for me and miraculously found some 10 minutes later. Of course, by then the main course was delivered but it was the thought that meant something!

I want to end this on the best note that I can, for those that have already booked and can't cancel!

The Sunset Cafe area on the aft part of the ship, is outside and allows smoking on Port side only, is the best place we found about the entire ship! There were several servers that were terrific and helped cheer us up and make us remember we were on vacation!! Most of the time it felt like boot camp and we couldn't wait to get the hell off when we reached Bermuda!! We sat in the Park, walked around and did anything to stay off as long as we could! I know, I said end this positively! One server's name was Damian but I didn't write down the others' and they were all great to us. We actually had a chance to meet and talk to a number of other guests out there. I don't smoke, but my SIL does and I didn't mind, at all. So even if you don't smoke, try this area out! These people were regular people that were there, like us, to enjoy vacation and not to impress everyone else! Less

Read more Celebrity Summit cruise reviews >>