Discovery Cruise Review by magsann

Cruise Date: May 2014
Embarkation: other
Destination: British Isles & Western Europe
Cabin Category: Deluxe catogory Suite
See More About: Discovery Cruise Reviews | British Isles & Western Europe Cruise Reviews | Cruise & Maritime Voyages Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Discovery Review (by Cruise Critic!)
Discovery resembles a floating care home

We have just returned home after spending 7 nights on the HM DISCOVERY. We were charged £2000 of our hard earned money to travel around Scottish Isles This cruise advertised all of the wonderful wild life that we would be seeing at all of the scottish Isles that we would be visiting.Perhaps I should have looked further into this cruise, but we were shocked to find out that we had to pay up to £69 per person extra once you had docked at these Scottish Isles if you wanted to go on these excursions.and see anything that resembled wild life.

We paid for a deluxe cabin, we booked for a cabin with a double bed and were given a cabin with two single beds. When I complained about this at reception Olga the very off hand receptionist said to blame the travel agent we booked with, and that the ship was full. so we could not be moved. I tried again the following day, and spoke to Sarah another receptionist. She said that there may be a cabin available later that day as some passengers were leaving the ship and that she would let us know. I still had not unpacked. Nobody rang us or got in touch, so when I once again enquired we were told there were no free cabins. I offered to pay for an upgrade and low and behold a cabin suddenly became available for an extra £250 per person. Needless to say I refused. I can honestly say that the outside cabin I had booked with P&O ferries for an overnight crossing to Calais was in better condition, and the bed was also a lot more comfortable.

Food on this ship was hit and miss. We were served pork three times in two days. Cold meat cuts consisted of spam rounds every day of this cruise. Spam salads were not what we had in mind when we booked.Soups were a variation of the soup served the day before. Day one was Fennel soup, a yellow coloured liquid with no taste whatsoever,day two was butter nut squash soup. It tasted exactly the same as the day before.Day three was pumpkin soup, yellow again, and it tasted the same. (You get the picture?). My husband and I are in our late fifties,but expected something a little more challenging entertainment wise than a knit and a natter. Sewing, get the bean bag in the ice bucket and quizzes with questions my five year old granddaughter could answer. Examples being rearrange APE to spell a green vegetable.378-377.We found people asleep everywhere we walked on the ship, some snoring, some laying full length on the sofas asleep.The entertainment crew were fabulous in all fairness, and done a great job with a very varied entertainments programme every night.We were so glad to dock in Bristol.Even the imminent coach transfer back up to Hull seemed inviting. This cruise, and we have been on many, was the worst we have ever encountered. NEVER TO BE REPEATED

Publication Date: 05/23/14