Carnival Freedom Cruise Review by HenanSan: Freedom after 2.0 updates

Cabin Not Rated

Compare Prices on Carnival Freedom Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Freedom after 2.0 updates

Sail Date: May 2014

Just back from our cruise on the Freedom. This was the first cruise after the 2.0 updates. Let me start off by saying overall the cruise, itself, was great especially after the first sea day. The problem was they were too busy loading supplies that getting luggage aboard was a second thought. Then the rains came. The luggage was left sitting in the downpour. We had priority boarding and our luggage was to be at the cabin by 1:30 (or so we were told). The rain came around 2:45 or so. Every piece of luggage left sitting outside was drenched, luggage tags were either unreadable or missing and clothes were either wet or destroyed. There were so many angry passengers and the crew was overwhelmed and frustrated. We were 3 hours behind schedule (loading and leaving).

Now for the good part of that issue, Carnival (headquarters,not the crew aboard) made a decision to dry clean, or wash and press all clothing brought to their attention. They did not announce this but anyone who went to More Guest Services and complained was taken care of. For us, two bags were lost in this debacle. One bag we found around 7:30 PM in one of the two areas set aside for lost luggage but the other was not there and we were told to wait until 10 PM as all should be delivered then and extra bags returned. Well that did not happen either. Around 4:45 AM while everyone else was sleeping I went to guest services and they took me to yet another room full of dripping luggage and there was our second bag. It was literally dripping water (hours after the rain). My husband was livid!!! However, this was not Carnival's fault this was on the port employees. They went inside when the rain began and just sat there until it was over. No one attempted to cover the cases holding luggage or anything!! No plans were in place to protect the luggage (it was as if no one cared...rain.... a complete afterthought). Anyway, as I stated before, Carnival washed, pressed and dry cleaned everything we gave them so all was right again (at least for us). Several families had their clothes faded and shrunk. I am not sure how those cases were handled.

After that the rest of the cruise was great. Guys were good, the Red Frog opened later in the cruise, the Wok is still there and so is Fish n Chips. That is all I require in a cruise :). The MDR still has the old menus and the food was OK. Not bad but not outstanding either. The ship was clean and the crew was friendly.

The ports of call: Cozumel, Belize, Mahogany Bay, and Grand Cayman. Cozumel we took an excursion from a vendor outside the port and it was cheaper than onboard. Site seeing, beach and shopping it was safe and at each stop there were other passengers from our ship who bought their excursion from Carnival so it was pretty much the same thing. In Belize we did the Babco Park excursion it was OK and there was not as much walking as they stated on the brochure. In Grand Cayman did the 7 mile beach excursion and at Mahogany Bay we bought the $12 ride to the beach.

We had a balcony on the Veranda deck. The room was a good size with plenty of closet space but on one side we had smokers and the other side we had crying fussy kids. So we had smoke outside and noise inside. Good thing they had bars and a casino aboard. Won $700 but paid most of it back. All in all we really enjoyed this cruise, once we got over the wet luggage thing in the beginning that is.:)

On a side note, the smokers not only smoked, they SMOKED stuff. I sat on the balcony reading and just could not concentrate on my book so I went inside and fell asleep for hours. DH said I was high as a kite. I didn't think it would effect me but I guess if you can smell it that strong you can get a 'contact'. Less

Read more Carnival Freedom cruise reviews >>