Carnival Breeze Cruise Review by MAMCHLT: The Best and Worst of the Breeze

Compare Prices on Carnival Breeze Southern Caribbean Cruises

The Best and Worst of the Breeze

Sail Date: April 2014
Destination: Southern Caribbean

My wife and I have taken over 15 cruises and tried many different cruise lines. This was our first cruise on a Carnival Dream Class ship. I would rank this cruise and the Carnival Breeze as average to slightly above average. On a scale of 1 to 5, I would rate it about 3.5.

Pro's and Con's of the ship:

The overall size of the ship was about perfect. The Ovation Theater is very nice. The new electronic back drops that they use for the shows were amazing. The Sports and Spa level is also great. There were two areas which felt a little small. The venue used for comedy shows was too small and the "shops" area of the ship was very small.

Activities Provided:

Many activities were provided on a daily basis. It seemed that there was always something going on and something to do.

Service:

The service provided on the ship was great. Our cabins steward was great. We also received great service in the dining room.

Port & Shore More Excursions:

I would recommend three of the four ports. I would enjoy returning to Aruba, Curacao and Grand Turk. I would not go out of my way to return to the D.R. If I did go back there, I would not take a Seavis tour.

Embarkation:

The embarkation process was very smooth.

Cabin: 9368.

I have provided a cabin overview in the Cabin section. For this section I will say: The cabin size was good. The bathroom and shower areas were really nice. The balcony was small. The location we choose was horrible.

Dining:

We ate in five different areas of the ship. The Blush Dining Room, The Lido Market Place (buffet), Guy's Burger Joint, the Blue Iguana Cantina and the Cucina del Capitano.

The Blush Dining Room - Dinners were good but not great. No meal stood out as awesome. The service at dinner was awesome. Brunch was good; but again no meal stood out as being great. The service at brunch varied. One day it was good. The last day it was horrible.

The Lido Market Place (buffet) - Had the same food every day. On my previous cruises, the buffet would switch things up daily. The Lido Market Place seemed to have the same stuff every and it was just average.

Guy's Burger Joint - Did not live up to my expectations. The burgers were hand patted... not pressed. This meant they were better than the average burger I expect to receive from the buffet bar. However, they were not as good as the burgers you would expect to get at a place like Red Robin or Ruby Tuesdays.

Blue Iguana Cantina - Was average. Their breakfast burritos were good. But I would not go out of my way to get their food. I never had to stand in a long line for the Blue Iguana. This is an indication of their food.

Cucina del Capitano - We ate here at lunch time when the meals were free. I wasn't impressed. You could choose your pasta, sauce and ingredients. The food was ok but did not warrant me going back a second time.

Entertainment - We took advantage of three different entertainment opportunities: Shows, the Hasbro game show and the comedians. I would give the overall entertainment a 4. However; there is room for improvement.

Shows: The shows in the Ovation theater were entertaining. I enjoyed the shows, the entertainers and the new lighted background. I would rate the shows a 5.

The Hasbro game show was a dud in my opinion. It seemed to be nothing more than a life size commercial for Hasbro games. The time I wasted watching the show is wasted vacation time that I will never get back.

Comedians. I enjoyed the comedians. However, I did not enjoy the hassle of trying to see the comedy shows. The Limelight lounge is/was WAY TOO SMALL for the number of people wanting to see the shows. The line of people waiting to get into the shows would wrap way down the ship halls. People would ride the elevator down and try to cut line by coming off the elevator and breaking into lines. I would suggest moving the comedians to the main ovation theater when it is not in use. If the late "adult" comedy show was moved tot he Ovation theater, it would help alleviate the congestion and frustration that people felt trying to see the comedy shows.

Disembarkation - Was very organized and smooth.

Overall, I greatly enjoyed my vacation. I would rate the cruise as a 3.5. With a few modifications I think the cruise could easily go from 3.5 to 4.75 or possibly 5. Less

Read more Carnival Breeze cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Breeze Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Breeze 9368

Good things about my room: The bathroom was nice. There was plenty of room in the shower and the bathroom. The overall room was nice. Bad things about my room: The balcony was small. The location was horrible. We were just below the Lido Market. There were at least two nights where I could not sleep and another night where my wife could not sleep because of the sound of carts being rolled around in the Lido Market (buffet) above our room. It seemed like they were moving things around all night long. We didn't use the balcony often at night because we were so close to the outside entertainment that all you could hear was the sound of music while sitting on the balcony. The location of my room was my only complaint.

Jeep Tour

From beginning to end this was a great tour. The jeep (Land Rover) driver was very nice and made sure we had a fun and exciting time. The riding in the jeep was fun and exciting. The driver really knew how to have fun with the jeep. We also got to see all of the interesting places in Aruba: The Cave Drawings, the north shore, the natural bridge, the light house and the Ostrich farm. At our final stop, we had the opportunity to go snorkeling. I almost passed on the snorkeling because we were just walking into the water from the beach and the water was not deep. But I was pleasantly surprised. There were hundreds of fish in the water. I saw more fish snorkeling here than I have ever seen on previous snorkeling trips. I would rate this excursion as a must do. (Note if you have a bad back; you probably should not take this excursion as the ride can be somewhat bumpy.)

Distillery Tour

(4)

We took an island tour which took us by the Curacao Distillery. The tour was very nice. We got to see different parts of the island; while also having an opportunity to see where the Curacao Liqueur was made. There we had the opportunity to taste the different colors of Curacao and buy some to take home. This was a fun tour.

I did not like this tour for many reasons: #1 Our tour was cancelled because they could not find enough people; so we ended up on this tour instead. #2 We had to provide our own transportation to their location. Getting a taxi cab at the cruise terminal was a nightmare. I would never try that again. #3 Due to the time wasted getting a taxi, we did not have much time to spend on the island. #4 The food provided was not good. The meat was too tough to eat. #5 The snorkel gear was not cleaned between users. I saw snorkel gear go from one person into a pile, just to be picked up and used by the next person. It was never cleaned between people. Just the thought of the snorkel going from mouth to mouth without being washed was disgusting. For those reasons I would NEVER recommend SEAVIS or the Soana Island or Soana Carinval Special. We did enjoy the brief stop at the sand bar where they found live starfish and allowed us to hold them and take pictures with them. However, I still would NOT recommend Seavis.

Read 491 Dominica Reviews

Stingray Swim

(2)

This stingray swim was disappointing. We saw two stingrays while we were in the water and saw a third swimming around as we were leaving the area. We also spent a little time on the guided snorkel tour. Although we did see a few lobster in the coral, there was not much else to see. For those who like to eat Conch, they did provide fresh Conch. One of the guides dove down to the bottom and brought back two Conch. They then showed us how to get the Conch out of the shell and let those who wanted to taste them, taste the fresh Conch. That was the only interesting part of the trip. I would not suggest this trip.