Veendam Cruise Review by lihpa

Veendam
Member Name: lihpa
Cruise Date: May 2014
Destination: Canada & New England
See More About: Veendam Cruise Reviews | Canada & New England Cruise Reviews | Holland America Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Veendam Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Veendam Deck Plans
A happy experience

This was our first cruise on HAL and were unsure what to expect. My wife and I took my 86 year old mother on this cruise from Fort Lauderdale to Quebec City. Our recent cruise experiences were with Azamara where we loved the small ships and food.

HAL was better than expected. The cabin was fine and the ship was great. The ship size was just right. Plenty of room but not too large. There was alot of different music venues playing both before and after dinner. We particularly liked sitting for awhile listening to a wonderful violinist and pianist before dinner.

I find breakfast in the dining room on most cruise lines to be fine. Lunchs in dining room were ok but we were really impressed with the diners on the ship. Great selection having never eaten the same thing twice. I thought the diner compared favorably to other more expensive cruise lines. The buffets for lunch and dinner were average. That is what we noticed to be lacking compared to more expensive cruise lines.

Ports were ok. We went whale watching in Gloucester and saw 14 whales up close. Amazing. Acadia park in Bar Harbor was beautiful. Halifax was ok, Sydney not much to see and Charlottetown was nice.

All in all I would recommend Holland America and would go on another cruise. I thought is was a very nice cruise at a good value.

Publication Date: 05/19/14