Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by Tatiou: Breakaway's first trip to Bermuda in 2014

Tatiou
Member Since 2012

Compare Prices on Norwegian Breakaway Bermuda Cruises

Breakaway's first trip to Bermuda in 2014

Sail Date: May 2014
Destination: Bermuda
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

Boat: How can you go wrong with a new boat? Everything was very nice. Public places were well maintained and ethically pleasing. This is a big boat and therefore you may need a day or two in order to really get a feel for the boat. “Where am I again?” was mentioned a few times. The waterfront located on deck 8 is wonderful. We spent most cocktail hours there and really enjoyed it. The only minimal downside I found with this boat is there are clearly elevators missing. Most times I caught the “Local” making stop on too many floors.

Embarkation: There was a slight delay in boarding that caused some waiting. Nothing serious or too long. NCL did warn us to only show up after a certain time. Which we did and waited maybe 45 minutes in all for the whole street to boat process (customs, security, registering, etc.)

Food: The food was delicious, warm and well presented. I’ll admit I’m not a fan of the garden café (buffet) but this More one seems to work. It has been planned well and could always find a seat (breakfast or snacks). We ate dinner in “The Manhattan Room” all evenings but one. Again the food was warm and service was nice. I would have liked to have a bigger “variety” of foods but then again it was all very good. I did miss “Lobster night” which I had on all other NCL Cruises in the past but was not present on this one.

Sun Decks: Very well done NCL. There was enough chairs and room to move around. We loved the small private area at the front. We also noticed staff removing “reserved” chairs after 1 hour. Great improvement. The water in the pool was warm which we found very nice. The slides were very cool and not too crowded. We also walked the plank which was nice.

Cabin: The cabin was nice. We were in an inside cabin on deck 11. Don’t expect a big cabin. This was made to maximize space and efficiency. Being my first try inside I did find it a tad big to closed off for my taste. I believe I’ll remain with my outside cabin or balcony cabin next time. The bathrooms were bigger than on previous ships which was appreciated.

Bermuda: This was my second time on the island. We loved it. We walked Hamilton and enjoyed Horseshoe Bay. The bus and ferry service is very good, reliable and easy. The water was cooler but resembled the east coast in July so all in all, quite well.

Entertainment: We saw Rock of Ages and it was very good! Second City didn’t quite hit the mark with me. I felt troops on other ships were better.

What needs to be improved: Not much really. I would suggest a better “map” of the ship in order to better familiarize yourself with the boat. The one page indication of the ship were not very good. Sales should not be made into a mad dash of pushing and shoving. It was tasteless and plain and simply not fun.

This needs to be addressed: Officers reprimanding crew members. Twice, I noticed an Officer telling a member of the crew there job was not being correctly and SCREAMING at them. Any reprimand needs to be handled in private and not in front of passengers. As a passenger I should never feel as if I need to step in to calm the Officer down. This shows to me a lack of respect for crewmembers. I didn’t like it.

Summary: All in all a great trip, great food and nice drinks. You can’t go wrong! Less

Read more Norwegian Breakaway cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Breakaway Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Breakaway 11661

Small and efficient. No noise complaints whatsoever. Can be hard to find.