Island Sky Cruise Review by Yggdrasil98

Member Name: Yggdrasil98
Cruise Date: April 2014
Embarkation: Southampton
Destination: British Isles & Western Europe
See More About: Island Sky Cruise Reviews | British Isles & Western Europe Cruise Reviews | Noble Caledonia Cruise Deals
Entertainment Not Rated

Ship Facts: Island Sky Review (by Cruise Critic!)
Enjoyable and relaxing cruise

I have sailed on a few itineraries with Noble Caledonia and have reviewed positively and negatively. I am happy to report our recent cruise on the Island Sky was a very good cruise. I was last on board in 2011 in the Baltic, and had no zodiac landings. This was an expedition cruise so we mostly used Zodiacs to land. The initial safety drill was very thorough, much better than on the Serenissima. I believe one passenger fell and had to leave the cruise, and by what I saw the situation was professionally dealt with, and after care extended to the passenger.

It was a great relief that the crew were just as pleasant this trip as the previous one on the Island Sky. Everything was very shiny and clean, food hygiene of a high standard. Quality of food (we are vegetarian) was a think a little higher than last trip, but it is still more about the ship and itinerary, so we were satisfied with standard of the food as we were not expecting a gourmet experience. A couple of yuk meals, but all the rest we were happy with. The only two meals we ate in the dining room were the Captain’s welcome and farewell, every other meal we happily sat on the Lido for. Even the roughest and windiest times they managed to keep the Lido open, it was great.

Our cabin was excellent, as was our cabin attendant. The internet connection was abysmal – worst than previously. I couldn’t even load gmail or facebook from my laptop, but I could at least load gmail on the public computer, which was difficult as we needed access both to work and keep in touch with our business. Others also complained about the satellite WIFI, or lack there of.

The first two days we experienced quite rough seas and a big swell, so many passengers were a little seedy and numbers were down at meal times. After this it was fairly good sailing with no need of medication. We unfortunately could not land on Sark due to this, Islay was changed to Jura and we had to have an afternoon on Soay instead of Skye in the Hebrides. Other than that we completed the whole itinerary. We were thrilled when we found our EL had arranged for us to land on Staffa one night, and it was a brief landing, but so very memorable. All the expedition team were excellent as I have previously experienced with NC, and it’s good to travel with familiar faces. The only thing lacking in this area was that we were on a garden cruise and there was no botanist on board. There were some amazing gardens on the itinerary, and all in all it was a well planned and carried out cruise.

We are booked on another 3 dates with NC on the Island Sky and Caledonian Sky and am pleased to be able to post such a positive review ☺

Publication Date: 05/18/14