Viking Legend Cruise Review by jlfreed: Immaculate, excellent staff, food not as good as expected.

jlfreed
Member Since 2014

Compare Prices on Viking Legend Europe - River Cruise Cruises

Immaculate, excellent staff, food not as good as expected.

Sail Date: April 2014
Destination: Europe - River Cruise
Embarkation: Budapest

Enjoyed the cruise overall. The daily excursions were also very good. All of the guides were very good and two were absolutely excellent. On the ship, someone was always cleaning something, cleanest accommodations I have ever had. I also did appreciate having the choice of a served meal or a buffet. However, in 7 nights we had two meals that were horrible: the local meal was so salty that after one mouthful, not only could I not eat that meal, but I could not even stomach a replacement steak. Then, the Captain's dinner was beef Wellington, which I love, but this was so over cooked that it was almost impossible to chew or swallow. I gave up after about 2 mouthfuls. Other guests that had taken other Viking cruises said that the food was much better on their other Viking cruises.

As for cabin choices, I would never pay extra again for the top floor, since most of the time we were in port and while there about two-thirds of the time there were other Viking ships on one or both More sides of us. The last day in Passau, which is absolutely gorgeous, our side of the ship was covered by another ship for the entire day. So, I think the optimal cabin would be mid-ship on the middle deck.

We also did not meet anyone who paid full fare, all "half price" and at least 4 of us told that we got the "last" cabin. The same day that we booked the "half-price" cruise, we also had Viking book "half-price" airfare. After booking, I found the exact same fare, to the dollar, on both expedia and travelocity.

All in all though, it was an enjoyable vacation, and good value at "half price". Less

Read more Viking Legend cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Viking Legend Review >>

Cabin review: Viking Legend 333

A larger than expected room, well appointed but not worth the extra cost over the middle deck since the windows were so often obscured by having another Viking ship moored right next to us.

Beautiful !

(5.5)

Much more interesting than expected.