Arcadia Cruise Review by siderisj: It floated. Takes more than that to impress me.

siderisj
Member Since 2014

It floated. Takes more than that to impress me.

Sail Date: March 2014
Destination: Australia & New Zealand
Embarkation: Adelaide

Sampler cruise to see what the newly refurbished P&O Arcadia was like. Looked hard but struggled to see exactly what had been refurbished? The buffet and perhaps the theatre?

The cabins are a little tired and ours was quite dirty. On embarkation our bathroom floor and shower foot well had that much hair stuck to them I was in disbelief! Our balcony door lock did not work and the door swung open and banged constantly. Cabin steward said it had been reported but for the whole 4 days was not fixed. The toilet blocked up EVERY single use. We were forced to go downstairs to use the toilet and wait for maintenance. And no, we were not putting anything in there that did not belong in there, nor were we excessive with the toilet paper as blamed by reception every time we had to report another blockage.

The buffet servery areas were extensive, running half the length of the ship yet the hot options offered were truly pitiful. The same salad bar every lunch and dinner with More never more than 3-4 hot options of curry, curry or curry it felt like. I know the Brits like a curry and the rest of the world appreciate one every now and then but surely not every single meal service! Desert offerings were varied and nice.

The main dining room was better certainly however some of the food left a lot to be desired. Pork Belly sans the actual pork bit or any crispy crackling, just four thin slices of fat on a plate. Even the waiter apologised. Service was friendly and efficient though.

Service throughout the ship was friendly and never had to wait for anything.

Our cabin E172 had an extra large balcony, twice the size of other cabins due to a cabin steward service room being next door.

Nothing to do if you are under 60. Same activities of Bridge lessons and a garden talk day in, day out.

The spa was one of the most expensive I have been to once you convert GBP to AUD yet the massage I had was horrendous, almost crippling. Touted as a fabulous new hot bamboo shoot massage, complete joke. Had better at an airport massage booth, full clothed! The spa treatment room creaked so loudly for the whole 90 mins with every wave that I thought the walls were about the collapse, as did the "therapist". Hardly relaxing with little to no ambience in the spa area.

This cruise suits the elderly, specifically elderly Brits only. It does not cater for other nationalities, ages or global interests in my opinion. Certainly nothing wrong with that, the British market is entitled to it's own style of cruising as they are the home port of course. I am just pointing out this cruise is not particularly suitable for anyone else. Less

Read more Arcadia cruise reviews >>