Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by CTcruiser57: Not a great cruise

Compare Prices on Norwegian Breakaway Bahamas Cruises

Not a great cruise

Sail Date: April 2014
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

We chose this cruise for 2 reasons, price and for the port it was leaving from. The price was cheap because it was between college spring break, and April vacation for schools. It left from NYC, so I was able to take a 2 hour drive instead of flying.

Getting to the port was very easy, parking was a bit expensive, but if I had flown, I still would have to pay for parking at the airport. Embarkation was horrible. We were given a number and when your number was called you were supposed to get on the ship. However, only one employee was telling passengers this as they exited the security screening, and if he was busy answering someone's questions, passengers just walked past him to the line that said "Embarkation Here". It was very frustrating for the passengers that were waiting as this one person could not control the large number of passengers coming from the security checkpoint. After waiting about 45 minutes for our number to be called, and watching hundreds of passengers More just get in line to get on the ship, we finally just got up and went in line and got on. Absolutely the worst embarkation ever.

The food on the ship was disappointing. I would compare the food to any chain restaurant. There was nothing special about any of it. They boast about the pizza that you can get delivered to any part of the ship, but you had to pay for the delivery. The garden cafe was a good size and our party of 4 didn't really have too much of a problem finding a place to sit. There were many tables outside the cafe, and in nicer weather, it allowed for more seating.

On my cruise, we had bad weather, which forced us to spend most of the time inside the ship. After 5 of our 8 days inside the ship, it became very boring. We had seen and done everything several times. Our first stop in Cape Canaveral, it was pouring rain the entire day. We missed the private island due to rough seas. Our stop in Nassau was our first nice day. We did the segway tour which was a lot of fun. The last 2 days were sunny, however the last day was too cold to spend time on the deck.

Disembarkation went well. No problems and the lines moved at a good pace Less

Read more Norwegian Breakaway cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Breakaway Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Breakaway 8178

The room size was fine, not too cramped, however, there were no drawers to put your clothes in. Everything had to fit in the closet. There were 2 drawers under the sofa that could be used, but they had bed linens in them. The safe was a good size, large enough to store an iPad in. The bed was very comfortable, but sleeping was difficult due to the noise level. My balcony door creaked all the time making it difficult to sleep. There were no passenger cabins below my room, however, there was what sounded like a large sliding door that you could hear open and then slam shut all day and during the night. The balcony was the smallest I have ever been on. There was barely enough room for the 2 chairs. If I had known that they were that small, I probably would have booked the large balcony room instead. We only saw our room steward a few times, compared with other cruises which I would see them at least a couple times a day. This cabin is one cabin away from the Waterfront and I was concerned that I would hear noise from that, but I didn't.

Due to rough seas, we were unable to tender to the island. I am giving 3 stars because I don't really know if it was good or bad. Just wanted to make sure people know that you may miss this port (which was our only opportunity for time on a beach).

Segway Tour

We booked this because we read bad reviews on other tours and didn't book a beach excursion because we thought we would be at Great Stirrup Cay the day before enjoying a beach (which we missed the port due to rough seas). The reviews we read about the Segway Tour were spot on. This tour turned out to be the highlight of a very disappointing cruise. The tour guides were great. They were fun and attentive. The segways were very easy to master. Your were taught how to ride them individually, and we didn't go on the tour until everyone knew how to ride them. We had to wear safety equipment, helmet, elbow pads and knee pads. They gave us a hairnet for under the helmet, unless you were wearing a baseball hat. Each segway came with a backpack that you could put your belongings into and take with you on the tour. At the furthest point of the tour, we stopped at a large athletic field and just rode around on the segways. It was actually a lot more fun than I thought.

Universal Studios Orlando

(4)

Universal Studios by itself is great, however as an excursion, you don't really get a lot of time there. We were supposed to get into port at noon, but bad weather forced us to be an hour late. It's was an hour drive each way to the park. We got to the park at around 2:30 pm and had to be back at our bus by 8 pm. Before booking this excursion, it is a good idea to check what time the park closes, which may even give you less time to enjoy your excursion. An alternative to this excursion is to just buy the transfer, and buy your tickets online which may be cheaper.