Pacific Princess Cruise Review by Traveler4k: Excellent itinerary

Excellent itinerary

Sail Date: April 2014
Destination: South Pacific
Embarkation: Tahiti (Papeete)

The cruise itinerary was superb; I loved Tahiti & the South Pacific (Society Islands). I am a solo traveler, so having the extra room was excellent. Balcony was small (unless you are in a mini or regular suite, they are small).

The ship was good. It was smaller than those megaships but not in a Seabourne/Silversea way. It needed to go to dry dock as the furnishing and carpets, etc were extremely worn out. Service in the dining room was really bad and snooty. The meals felt as they were all pre-prepared (but this is the case on almost any ship anyway). Princess does offer gluten-free and rice milk, which is GREAT but far off the track of having healthy prepared foods. That's ok, that is the cruise ship culture. I digress.

When I mentioned the service was poor in the dining room, I meant the service was really slow (2 hours to get your full service from start to end) and on one day while in port in Raiatea, it was a "tropical casual" night. Therefore, I met friends More and decided it would be "OK" to use the dining room for dinner. I was dressed in a baseball cap, jeans and shirt. I was asked to wait on the side by the headwaiter. My friends, who were wearing hats, shorts and sandals were immediately seated and Rui (the headwaiter) declined to seat me. I spoke with the maitre'd and I decided not to continue eating in the dining room the last few nights. It was not fun and very poorly handled (the maitre'd was nice though).

Anyway, the room service (as all other ships) is standard, 24 hours and have the same things on the menu BUT unlike other ships, there is no additional charge for after-midnight service. That was a nicer touch than NCL.

Entertainment was so-so. I guess I see too many real shows in NYC, the Pantages (here in LA), Miami and the West End. Their Polynesian dancers were superb. The comedian (Cary Long) was one of the WORST ever - not funny at all and actually quite narcissistic (when speaking to him in private).

The ship's main areas were either FREEZING or HOT. I would prefer freezing for the most part (the entertainment lounge). The other bars and the dining room were really warm and basically semi-sauna-like on some occasions.

The worst part of the itinerary was overnighting in Papeete twice (front end and back end). It was most definitely the worst port.

The nicest thing I have ever sen any cruise line do was allow you to stay and use the ship facilities the day of disembarkation if you purchase their transfers. I had an overnight flight around midnight and was able to shower using the Lotus Spa and eat onboard. Another beautiful touch!

All in all, the ship was pretty average. The service was average to poor and the cabins were average to good (in my humble opinion). The itinerary these ships typically do are quite excellent! I am super glad I went and overall recommend the product even though I am a harsh critic! Less

Read more Pacific Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Pacific Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Pacific Princess 6028

I will enclose my YouTube video of the cabin with balcony, which are the same for each cabin, unless you are booking into a mini or full size suite! Here is the link to the video of the cabin as I realize not many are out there on the Ocean and Pacific Princess:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F--fB5RUe2M