Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by loveandcruises: One of the best cruises yet!

loveandcruises
Member Since 2007

Compare Prices on Celebrity Summit Eastern Caribbean Cruises

One of the best cruises yet!

Sail Date: April 2014
Embarkation: San Juan

Right from the start, I want to tell everyone who reads this that if you are thinking of taking a Celebrity cruise, go for it! This cruise line has outstanding service, excellent food, and the Summit is a beautiful, welcoming, and very clean and well-maintained ship.

Background information: This was my 29th cruise. I am in my mid-50s and traveled with my 86-year-old mother who has been on 40 cruises. This is the first cruise in 25 years that I have done with just my mom; we usually cruise with my husband and 2 teenage daughters. In fact, during this repositioning cruise, my mom put down a deposit for my husband to take the return repositioning cruise (Bayonne to San Juan on October 19).

Other cruise lines we have taken besides Celebrity include Carnival, Norwegian, Royal Caribbean, Holland America and Princess. We are Captain's Club members; I am Select and my mother is Elite, and on this cruise we went to several lovely Elite events, including 2 cocktail parties, a More backstage tour, wine tasting, afternoon tea, a nightly cocktail hour and a daily Continental breakfast. We also went to the Cruise Critic party, which was the largest Cruise Critic party I have ever attended.

We flew down to San Juan from New York the day of the cruise. Because of flight delays, we weren't able to get out to Old San Juan and got onto the ship at about 4:30 pm. Embarkation was extremely easy.

The ports on this cruise were: St. Maarten, St. Thomas, Tortola, and an overnight in King's Wharf Bermuda.

The ship is beautiful, even though it was built in 2001, and it is meticulously maintained. One night at around midnight, we saw the workers in the Oceanview Cafe (the buffet) cleaning the vents and the lights, while a manager pointed a flashlight into nooks and crannies.

The service was wonderful. Everyone is very friendly and willing to help you.

There are not a lot of activities during the day, especially on port days. There is always some sort of music going on at some venue, and doing the day they have pool games, game shows, trivia, dance lessons, and craft projects. The captain during our cruise, Captain Leo, who is only 36 years old, gave a lecture about navigation, and there is also a galley tour. When I go on Royal Caribbean, I find myself circling a dozen things to do on the daily program; this cruise line is more subdued.

The cabin was very comfortable. We had a veranda cabin, 8037, right outside the forward elevators. The room had lots of mirrors, which gave it the impression of being larger, and had so much storage we couldn't use it all! If you need storage, this is the ship for you -- whether it's the large closet, 6 in-closet drawers, storage above the safe, above the minibar, on both sides of the vanity, in both night tables, and both to the side of and beneath the sink in the bathroom. The bed was very comfortable, especially if you like the swaddling sensation of a tightly made bed.

Dining is the area in which the Summit and Celebrity in general excels. Especially on formal nights, the menu had the kind of variety on one dinner menu that you might find over the course of several nights on other cruise lines. The food is innovative, delicious and a feast for the senses. You also find items in the buffet that you don't usually find that easily on other lines -- like various kinds of eggs Benedict, blintzes, Bananas Foster and baked apples. Every evening at the buffet they put out an incredible array of sushi. I also recommend the Aquaspa Cafe for breakfast or lunch -- so fresh and tasty! -- as well as Bistro on 5 for mouthwatering crepes. But the place everyone must go to dine is Qsine! This is an experience that should not be missed. If I had to describe the food, it would take several paragraphs, but let me tell you this: it is fun, it is funky, it is delicious, the service is top-notch, and you will never forget it. I believe that in all my cruises, the best food I have ever had was on this ship!

We loved the entertainment, too. The cruise director, Lisa Richard is herself an accomplished singer who ditched a successful career in the corporate world to follow her dreams as a cruise director. Lisa is probably the best cruise director I've seen yet, because she is genuine and truly cares about each guest. The singers and dancers on the Summit work extremely hard. There are a total of 6 singers who also dance, 7 dancers and an acrobatic/aerialist team. The production shows don't seem to stop -- as soon as you think the show is over, there is another supercharged musical number! The guest entertainers were very good on this cruise -- juggler Scotty Cavanaugh, magician Jay Mattioli, and singer/impersonator Pete Peterkin. All were deserving of standing ovations.

Disembarkation was a breeze. The ship does not have a disembarkation talk, and eschews the silly "top ten questions" cruise director spiel/final farewell song and dance, but perhaps it doesn't need it.

We are used to traveling with the kids during school breaks, so we were not used to the quiet sophistication we experienced on the ship.

In summary, if you are looking for impeccable service, unbelievable food, a spacious and comfortable room, and the nicest crew at sea,n choose the Celebrity Summit. If not, there's a Carnival ship waiting for you! Less

Read more Celebrity Summit cruise reviews >>